• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Dos Manos - Building #4

Started by Ray Dunakin, January 09, 2010, 07:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip Smith

your  drygood shelving, wallpaper, and bottles .
nice touch!
Philip

Frederic Testard

It's wonderful, Ray. All your efforts on bottle labelling lead you to a fine result.
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

RoughboyModelworks

Those are terrific Ray... very well done and well worth all the fiddly effort. Third from the left, front row looks like a particular favourite single malt... ;) Don't forget Prince Albert in the can...

Paul

marc_reusser

Wow. That looks really great. The bottles and boxes came out beautiful.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

NORCALLOGGER

Hey Ray,
Those are beautiful as is the structure.  Lots of little fiddley work there.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Most all the early Patent Medicine bottles were flat rectangular so they could be easily slipped into a jacket pocket to be carried around.  Not a bad idea as most of them were mainly alcohol, cocaine, or opium base.   Also most poison bottles were triangular in shape with round tops and they sold a lot of different poisons in drug and grocery stores.

Keep up the great work.
Rick

marc_reusser

Quote from: NORCALLOGGER on March 15, 2010, 09:58:13 PM

Most all the early Patent Medicine bottles were flat rectangular so they could be easily slipped into a jacket pocket to be carried around.  Not a bad idea as most of them were mainly alcohol, cocaine, or opium base.   Also most poison bottles were triangular in shape with round tops.......

Rick

Interesting info. Thanks. When you say the poison bottles were triangular...I assume you mean in plan view?.....and why was that...for ease of identification by what was probably often only a potentially semi-literate consumer base?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Those are good looking bottles Ray. It always surprises me how quickly little detail bits get used up after all the time spent on them. There's never enough!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

NORCALLOGGER

Marc,
Yes, most poison bottles were done in distictive shapes and/or bright colors mostly for the reason you mention.  Of course not all poisons were that way just as all patent medicines were not flat rectangles, as with all things nothing is definitive.

Here is a link to some pictures of various groupings of old bottles.  Note the different shapes and colors involved.

http://www.antiquebottledepot.com/bottles.php

Later
Rick

finescalerr

Can you guys believe the vast amount of knowledge on these pages? We're learning how to model bottles on this thread. Others deal with every other imaginable topic. I'm blown away by what you guys turn up! -- Russ

Chuck Doan

I said the same thing after my cat's last hairball.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Quote from: Chuck Doan on March 17, 2010, 08:58:44 AM
I said the same thing after my cat's last hairball.

I'm still laughing :)  Great sense of humor!!!!!

Jerry

But the bottles are really cool.  Great job as is the building.
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Doan, back to the corner! -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Finally got into the mood to do some more work on this building. Among other things, I made a wall clock and five ceiling lamps for it. Here's the clock:

And here are three of the ceiling lamps:

The clock was made from a ring-shaped necklace clasp, with the clear plastic dome from a "googly" eye. The lamps were made from a couple of metal necklace beads soldered to a short length of brass tubing. I used Plastruct clear acrylic domes for the "glass" lampshades. The Plastruct domes were very thick, so I hollowed them out more using an oval carving bit in a Dremel tool. The domes were then given a coat of white spray paint on the outside.

I have some pics of the construction of these items on my website, beginning here:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Dos_Manos.html#106

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Wow, amazing and inspiring work detailing this interior.  Great stuff.
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com