Westlake Publishing Forums
December 12, 2019, 05:27:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Dos Manos - Building #4  (Read 23575 times)
marc_reusser
Curmudgeon
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 02:15:38 AM »

Looks good Ray. Very cleanly built. 

I had almost  that wallpaper...but very dingy and gritty/dirty looking as the desktop paper on my monitors  Grin

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »

Here's another brief update...

I finally fixed the gaps in the stone walls. I mixed a small quantity of mortar, added some "charcoal" pigment to darken it a little, and smeared onto the walls of the building by hand. When I was sure it had been pressed into all the gaps, I carefully rinsed off the excess while lightly rubbing it with my hand. In some areas I also used a soft paintbrush.

After the mortar had set, I scrubbed the walls with stiff brush under running water, to remove some of the residue. It still needs a little touch up here and there, but I think it looks a lot better now:

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin’s World
Chuck Doan
Mr. Wizard

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 02:38:39 PM »

Looks like the morter didnt effect the stones at all. Glad you found a solution!

“They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details.” -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 03:05:02 PM »

A considerable improvement. It looks good. -- Russ
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 01:48:47 PM »

Here's the latest update...

I started working on the furnishings for the storefront interior. I built some cabinets with shelves out of styrene. These were "distressed" to look like they've been around a long time and have never been refinished. The design and "weathering" were inspired by photos from the J. A. Merriam Drug store in Colorado, which I got from a "No Frills" photo CD on ebay.

Using regular spray paints, I sprayed them with gray primer, then a mist of red-brown primer, and a little bit of light brown. Then I brushed on a reddish-brown mix of Apple Barrel flat acrylics. I used a dark brown mix for the trim. After this had dried, I brushed on a thin wash of artist's gloss medium, which really gives it a nice varnished look. When that had dried, I chipped and scraped away small bits of the surface paint. Then I went over it with a Scotch-Brite pad.

I still have to make the merchandise to fill the shelves. I also have to make some other furnishings, "weather" the interior, add signs and displays, and lights. The false doorway at the rear will have a curtain draped across it.

Here's a shot of the interior with the cabinets temporarily placed in position:

Ray Dunakin’s World
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »

It would be very difficult to tell, from the photos alone, that the scale is smaller than 1:1. Very nice work. -- Russ
RoughboyModelworks
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 06:17:52 PM »

Nicely done Ray... I'm curious to see what you're going to be using to "stock" the shelves.

Paul
lab-dad

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »

I am curious to see the "process" of making the items for the shelves.......
Seems like a GIANT PITA!
shelves look great though!
-Marty

Martin G. Jones Photography
    Go not where the path leads
Go instead, where there is no path,
           And leave a trail
Ken Hamilton

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 10:20:38 PM »

Ray, those shelves to indeed look real.  The finish is perfect.
Great job.
I'm anxious to see how you stock the shelves, too.

Geoff Ringle

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 10:20:22 AM »

Ray,
This will be a wonderful addition to your town…. looks great.  I am also wondering what will be sold in this shop?
Geoff
marc_reusser
Curmudgeon
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 05:02:40 AM »

Ray,

I can only echo everyone elses sentiments.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works
Frederic Testard

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »

A really nice room, Ray. The furniture finish is excellent.

Frederic Testard
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 11:38:55 PM »

I just finished a wood framed, glass display case for the drug store interior:   

The frame was made of styrene. The glass is polycarbonate, and was installed after the frame was painted. I used artist's gloss medium to glue the polycarbonate into the frame. The middle shelf was put in last.

The cabinet was "distressed" to look old and a bit worn. The weathering looks harsher in the photos than in real life. I may try to tone it down later.

I have a couple photos of the cabinet under construction, beginning here:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR_Dos_Manos.html#96

I'm still working on the merchandise to stock the shelves.

Ray Dunakin’s World
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »

Lately I've been busy making merchandise to stock the shelves of the drug store. I've made about 150 bottles so far. These were turned by hand using a power drill as a crude lathe. I use a Dremel with a cutting disk to shape them as they turn, then smooth them with steel wool and finally polish them with a bit of toothpaste on a rag. Some of the bottles are then painted with transparent colors. Then they're labeled using decals I printed out, from scaled down photos of vintage medicine labels. After decalling, the bottles are sprayed with glossy Krylon clear. Here's a few of the bottles. 

I'm also making small boxes for the shelves. These a cut from various sizes of styrene rod. Most are glued together, then painted. Labels are printed out on self-adhesive vinyl.

Here's a test shot of the shelves in place, with some of the bottles and boxes installed. I still have many more to go, plus lots of other little details:

Ray Dunakin’s World
jacq01

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 02:16:20 AM »

Ray,

WOW.   you are outdoing yourselve.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: