• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Historic Depot in Chama, MN

Started by Brent, December 30, 2009, 07:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

There is no sub-floor on the freight room end -- scale lumber was placed directly on the floor joists as shown in this photograph.

Brent

The completed freight room floor before it was stained and weathered...

finescalerr

Brent, you young rascal, the depot is coming along rather nicely. The floor joists would seem unnecessary since you covered them with planks but it's cool to know they are there. -- Russ

JohnP

Brent, with your experience making the model with all the structural elements in place, next you could make a 1:1 version in the back yard for your shop and layout.

John
John Palecki

Brent

John,   A 1:1 version in my back yard would be wonderful if funds and space were not  as issue.

With the floors in place, framing up the structure is next. It is too bad most of those 2x6s will be covered by siding, but I am building the structure foloowing the blueprints the beast I can.

Brent

There are exposed rafters above the freight room, so they too need to be built to scale...

Brent

The framing is almost done and the rafters will be delivered soon...

Brent

The rafters going up on 2-foot centers. It looks like the crew putting them up has gone off to lunch.

Brent

THe roof trusses over the freight room are exposed. Here they all are on the underside of the roof.

Brent

With the building framed and roof trusses in place, 1 by 12 siding was installed.

Brent

The interior walls were lined with unpaineted lumber, which was weathered in advance with the ususal India Ink and alcohol soultion.

Brent

The interior of the freight room and agents quarters are finished. Windows, doors and furnishings are yet to be installed.

Brent

This is the express freight, office and passanger waiting room end.

Brent

The passenger end before the roof was added.

Brent

As Russ later suggested, laser cut cardstock windows would have been ideal, but I didn't know about that option so I tried scratch building windows in styrene. I built one to my satisfaction, then resorted to modifying Grandt Line window. Here are the results. The one on the bottom row, fifth from the left is scratch built. The rest were modified with additional styrene for wider trim and more paynes.