• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:8 Scale Gmeinder Feldbahn

Started by RoughboyModelworks, December 24, 2009, 08:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Found these photos on another forum and thought them worth reposting here because of the inspirational quality of the brass and metal work. Unfortunately I don't read German (at least not without considerable effort), but the builder's name is Christian from somewhere near Braunschweig.

Paul

Chuck Doan

Very impressive! I'm surprised he didn't make a working engine.

Wonder if it will be painted, and if so, weathered.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

RoughboyModelworks

Further into the post Chuck, you can see the painted version. Unfortunately, I don't think the paintwork is up to the outstanding quality of the model... IMO.

Paul

JohnP

I tried Yahoo Babel Fish for the first time. Put in the web page address and the whole thing is translated-somewhat humorously but it will give you an idea.

It seems the levers make it go and reverse. The paint is alright but I think the original finish is so NASA-like in quality he should have left it. The big surprise is that the louvers are from a German kitchen fan of some sort. Very smart there.

Nice find Paul.

John
John Palecki

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

The loco is truly a beautiful piece of workmanship....and the original paint coats are very nicely applied also...but that weathering is a freaking abomination, it ruins and negates all the hard work that went before it.  People that build beautiful models but can't paint or weather for sh*t, should really get to know their limits. I was really saddened by what he did to that loco.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

DaKra

Yeah what a beautiful model, but I'm sorry I clicked that link and saw the model go from a work of art to a toy train.  This guy is clearly an excellent machinist and builder, but he's out of his league with the weathering.  Looks like he loaded a squirtgun with watercolors and fired away.   Lame   :-\

Dave

RoughboyModelworks

Yeah, it's a real shame, such superb construction work then just ruined with lousy paintwork. It would have been preferable to just leave it as brass or at the very least pass it on to a skilled painter to finish it. Oh well, we can still take inspiration from his metalwork.

Paul

Ken Hamilton

I thought you guys were being unjustly harsh until I clicked on the link.
Talk about falling off a cliff............
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

DaKra

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on December 27, 2009, 07:05:53 AM
I thought you guys were being unjustly harsh until I clicked on the link.
Talk about falling off a cliff............

Heh, that's what I like about this forum, its justly harsh.       

mobilgas

Hey Guys,      you cant be good in everything ;D      Craig

shropshire lad

Quote from: mobilgas on December 27, 2009, 12:07:38 PM
Hey Guys,      you cant be good in everything ;D      Craig

I've set my sights on being good at something . I'll worry about being good at everything later .

Nick

JohnP

I thought I was wrong once. Turned out I was wrong. ;D

I guess it is difficult to to be fully talented in a variety of related fields. For example, many car builders have someone else apply the paint even if they perform excellent mechanical modifications. It is a rare modeler who can scratchbuild most everything, create a layout with great scenery, then run the equipment realistically around believable structures and settings, maybe running with electronics and sound. So, OK, the guy should have looked up some forums for weathering ideas before touching that mechanical masterpiece.

Can anybody name a Beyond Acceptable Modeler who, in the past or present history of railway modeling, seems to have it all figured out?

John
John Palecki

marc_reusser

There is some French guy and his wife that did an absolutely stunning all scratch-built layout in some wierd scale like 1:53, or such.  For the world of me I can't remember his name at the moment.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mobilgas

John,        Alot of people might not agree with me on this forum...But ill put in a VOTE for George of Fine Scale Miniatures ...for what he has done ...building the layout he built....makeing kits....all the  good press he's got in the hobby....Known all around the world for his layout....and people from around the world wanting to see his layout...That includes ME ;D 40 years ago seeing his kits got me interested in model railroading. His kit's were the best in HO he was way ahead of his time when he started doing kits... I would love to have that good of a layout at my house even if its HO scale.  OK thats my 2 cents worth    Craig