Westlake Publishing Forums
October 20, 2019, 06:25:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Concrete colors - feedback  (Read 5536 times)
lab-dad

« on: December 20, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »

Here are some samples I did for coloring the concrete foundations on the Corliss.

The First is stained with Silverwood and then some tan and gray powders.

The second was stained with thinned Vallejo black gray and a light dust of gray powder which was scrubbed off under running water with a stiff paintbrush.

The third was also done with the Vallejo but green powder was used first followed by heavier coat of tan and gray.

The last was done with Vallejo and then sealed with acrylic flat clear. Once dry a darker (less thinned) coat of the Vallejo was repeated twice.

Being the machine (Corliss) is inside, in use and well maintained I think #3 is definitely out.
I'd appreciate some feedback or suggestions of other methods to try.

-Marty

Martin G. Jones Photography
    Go not where the path leads
Go instead, where there is no path,
           And leave a trail
marklayton

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »

Marty -

Experimenting with paint is fun!
#2 is promising, especially about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom.  IMHO, #4 is a bit too dark making it look too much like weathered wood.  And I agree - #3 is out.  But I'm interested in the effect on #1.  Flip it 180°, and it looks like concrete that's been rain-spashed with clay soil.  I've seen that on foundations, and the color never seems to wash out.  Of course, that won't work for your indoor scene.

Mark

He who dies with the most tools wins.
jacq01

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 01:29:06 AM »

In a hurry  Huh   

I don't know how far Chuck is, but now I'll wait to see what you come up with.    Grin Grin Roll Eyes
  I'll put up some photo's as soon as I have time.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.
Chuck Doan
Mr. Wizard

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:33:16 AM »

I am still trying things out. #2 looks good for a newer machine. I have seen examples of all your samples in real life though. The rust colors are usually due to a rusty something on the concrete, so not so good for yours.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 09:54:35 AM by Chuck Doan » Logged

“They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details.” -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 01:44:36 PM »

What Chuck says. Probably #2, maybe a subdued #4, but definitely neither of the two rusty blocks. In the proper context, though, either might look very good in an outdoor setting. Very useful experiment. Nice work. -- Russ
RoughboyModelworks
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 02:18:07 PM »

Marty:

No.2 gets my vote as well. They're all good for different applications, but I think 2 is probably closest for representing an indoor engine base, particularly for an engine that would be in constant use and well-maintained.

Paul
Brian Donovan
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »

I know I'm a bit late on this but #2 is a nice match to this recycled slab of 50+ year old concrete sidewalk -

-Brian
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: