• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

I attach a late 1800 signage exposed to the light.
This has been sandwiched between between buildings
Les

Malachi Constant

Quote from: mad gerald on May 17, 2012, 10:14:14 AM
Quote from: Malachi Constant on May 17, 2012, 09:39:04 AM
... No.  "Aurora" was a Greek goddess ...
... don't want to nitpick, but actually she was roman goddes (of dawn) ...  ;D ... in greek mythology she was named Eos ...

Thanks!  It's nice that you older fellows who were actually there will help some of us younger guys sort out what we tried to learn in school.  ;D  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

mad gerald

Quote from: Malachi Constant on May 23, 2012, 06:38:41 AM
Quote from: mad gerald on May 17, 2012, 10:14:14 AM
Quote from: Malachi Constant on May 17, 2012, 09:39:04 AM
... No.  "Aurora" was a Greek goddess ...
... don't want to nitpick, but actually she was roman goddes (of dawn) ...  ;D ... in greek mythology she was named Eos ...

Thanks!  It's nice that you older fellows who were actually there will help some of us younger guys sort out what we tried to learn in school.  ;D  -- Dallas

... *ouch* ...  ;) ... thanks for pointing that out, Dallas ... ;D ... (methinks sometimes I should keep my big trap shut ...  8) )

Cheers

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Barney

You can not beat a good bit of professional brick work - solid as a rock !
Barney

chester

Can you say "patchwork quilt"?

mabloodhound

Now I never would have thought that brickwork above the clapboards would be prototypical.   Goes to show there's a prototype for everything imaginable.
Nice photo.   Do you know where that is located?
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Barney

Location of photos - Droitwich England (behind the Waitrose Supermarket) the flue pipe belongs to the Fish & Chip shop in the High Street.

finescalerr

That is a scene worth modeling. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: mabloodhound on May 28, 2012, 06:59:16 AM
Now I never would have thought that brickwork above the clapboards would be prototypical.   Goes to show there's a prototype for everything imaginable.
Nice photo.   Do you know where that is located?
8)

I would say that the whole of that wall is timber framed and at one point it all  would have been wattle and daubed , or maybe lath and plastered . At some point the plaster failed and the bottom half was covered with weatherboard ( and not that long ago) and the plaster in  top panels was removed and infilled with brick ( badly) . The wall underneath the weatherboard could also be infilled with brick but obviously we can't tell from the photo .

The whole lot is a mess and would take quite a bit of time and money to make it all look alright . Glad I'm not having to work on it .

Nick

Ray Dunakin

That scene cries out to be modeled, perhaps as a diorama backdrop.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mabloodhound

Nick,
That makes sense.   Otherwise, without the framing what else would support the brickwork.   
I do agree with the others about this making a good subject to model.
8)
Dave Mason
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

lab-dad

Quoteit all  would have been wattle and daubed

LMAO!!!

can we in America get some sub-titles?
I dont speak proper English.
-Mj

mabloodhound

Wattle and daub is the same term used here in the States.   Wattle is the branches/boards used behind the outside daub/plaster ( a very simplified explanation).
Dave Mason

Barney

Translation and sub titles for all those who live on the other side of the water
Fish is what swims in the sea and chips is fries - a flue pipe is what things go up - and we walk on the pavement and cross the road or High street
a Supermarket is were you can purchase cheese-onion and bread rolls the main diet of an English man
a Wattle is what you can dab if it turns you on !
Barney