• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Photo of The Day

Started by marc_reusser, December 18, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

As a guy who spent half of his life working with Photoshop, I'd say she has most satisfactory abilities. -- Russ

darrylhuffman

When I first started cleaning up old photos I worked on a badly damaged photo of my grandfather when he was about 25.  I had to work pixel by pixel on some portions.  After a while I felt very strange looking so closely into the eyes of a man I never met.

I restored a lot of photos and it was fun for a while, but eventually it turned into work.

My parents lived in Arkansas before migrating to California. 

I was about 18 when my grandmother died in Arkansas.

We drove back there for the funeral.  The family had taken all the old photographs and lined them up around the living room.  I did not recognize anyone but they were fascinating to look at.  Many were on glass.

About 20 years later I happened to mention them to my Mom and asked who had them now.  She replied that those photos had been set out for people to take with them if there were any they liked.

Apparently no-one wanted them so they took them out back and burned them.

I only wish I had known I could ask for them.

There was about 100, all taken before 1900.

When I visited my grandmother as a child, I would go up in the attic and go through those old photos that she had stored in a trunk.

I love old photos and really like my daily dose of Shorpy.com.

I wish the Rattlesnake Joe photo was better as I have special cloth that I can run through my printer to print photos on.   I would love to have a Rattlesnake Joe tent on my bookshelf.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Ray Dunakin

What a waste! If no one in the family wanted them, they could have been donated to a local historical society.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

I have a history buff friend who is building a Civil War HO railroad based on City Point. A couple years ago, for fun I GIMPed his head onto the body of a Union general's  
B&W photo and gave it a slight purplish tone like an old 19th century photo.  

After watching a couple YouTube videos I tried colorizing that composite photo. I cleaned up some of the blemishes and also "backdated" his contemporary eyeglasses to something approximating 1860s spectacles. It was a fun project, complete with numerous false starts but it came out OK for a first effort. Have to try more of this!

finescalerr

Excellent work. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Nice!

I used to do some photo retouching/restoration in the "old days", using an airbrush. That was a real pain.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Sami

Inspiration for the wood weathered...

finescalerr

That looks like my house ... after a new paint job! -- ssuR

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on November 11, 2021, 12:08:21 PM

You might want to consider finding a new decorator .

WP Rayner

It may be time to get a new brush... just sayin'
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

TRAINS1941

I guess the cardstock didn't hold up in the weather!!   :)

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Barney

Despite winds of 70mph + torrential rain or as the Northern people of our island say "rain like stair rods"  ( I will let you work that out for yourselves ) This little chap survived in the concrete jungle !
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

NOTE FOR ABOVE    Nothing to do with models - although I hope to make some in  HO SCALE
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Lawton Maner

Take a lesson from the US Army at Ft Eustis.  When they find a Plover nest in a parking area, they surround it with a barrier.  Have health and safety protect it until you can transplant it just like the financial investment TV ad!   

l

finescalerr

I noticed that Barney's area seems to get some rain. Southern California, on the other hand, is turning into the Gobi Desert. -- Russ