• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quarry Slate Wagons

Started by Brian Donovan, December 15, 2009, 04:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Donovan

Hi guys (and gals?). I'm a newbie here but recognize many of my fellow large scalers. After posting my most recent project elsewhere, it was suggested the folks here would enjoy a gander at this project. I got the third degree from Russ and was allowed to sign up. So here it is -

These are 7/8n2 (1:13.7 scale two foot narrow gauge on 45 mm track) slate slab wagons based on those used at the Aberllefenni Quarry. My models are not a direct copy of the prototype but the overall dimensions are the same. One will go to a recipient in the annual www.7-8ths.info swap car exchange (like secret santa).
The wood frames were made from cedar. Detail parts are from Ozark or scratch from brass stock (like the brake lever/linkage).
Wheels are 7/8s Sierra Valley for my swap car and modified LGB spoke wheels for my car (my switches don't care for fine scale flanges).

The slab wagons are used to transport large slate slabs from the quarry to a transfer point (like a main rail line).
Slabs were stacked and then wedged in with small slates between the poles.  The poles were removed and laid on the wagons when unloaded for transport back to the quarry.

Pics -

-Brian

marc_reusser

Welcome to the forum Brian. I saw these beauties over on GnatterBox.....very nicely done. Thanks for posting/sharing them here.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Scratchman

Nice cars Brian and welcome. The two cars look like they have different wheels. Can you tell us more about them? and the little journals. Are these all from Ozark miniatures?

Gordon Birrell 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

RoughboyModelworks

Very nice Brian and welcome to the forum. I spotted these over on Gnatterbox as well and was thinking they should be posted here, perhaps a little over-qualified for the Gnatterbox...  ;) Are you using actual slate to represent the slate or are they plaster castings?

Looking forward to seeing more of your work...

Paul

Brian Donovan

Thanks guys!

Gordon,

The wheels are 7/8s Sierra Valley for my swap car and modified LGB spoke wheels for my car (10 spokes to 5 spokes doubled in size). My layout is a reversing loop to reversing loop designed for self running. My switches don't care for fine scale flanges as nice as the SV wheels are. I posted pics of my 7/8's layout in the Readers' Photos section - http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=632.msg9495#msg9495.
Yes, the journals are from Ozark and come with bronze oilite bearings. They were a bit of a pain to drill out and fit the bearings into.

Paul,

Real slate cut down on a tile saw was used as I'm a real dirt, real rocks, real plants kind of railroader.  ;D

-Brian

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: Brian Donovan on December 15, 2009, 08:46:53 PM
Real slate cut down on a tile saw was used as I'm a real dirt, real rocks, real plants kind of railroader.  ;D
-Brian

Well, then you are definitely in the right place here... excellent work Brian.

Brian

finescalerr

Most satisfactory, Brian, both the cars and the layout. -- Russ

jmartin

Very nicely done.  Funny that you posted these today. I was just browsing the Penmorfa website the other day on the slate subject and Aberllefenni Quarry was the one I was particualrly interested in. Since it had an underground working it thought it would be a great first attemp at modeling with its limited structures as far as I can tell. I need to find more photos of the site to amke sure it is something I want to tackle.

John
John Martin
Fort Mill, SC
http://public.fotki.com/johnmartin