• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress: Westinghouse boxcab electric

Started by Hauk, September 09, 2009, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Happy to hear that there are a few Review readers on this board. I just love that magazine, I just wonder why it took me so long to discover it.

As I consider the Annuals books and not magazines, the Review is simply the best modeling magazine in my opinion. It is everything the Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette could have been.

Regarding track work, I think I will hand lay all the track I eventually will build. If I ever get around to building a layout (unfortunately not very likely) I might look for some flextrack for hidden/staging tracks.

But as I am using fine scale standards very close to Proto48 I have bought som castings from American Switch & Signal. They should work well for my type of turnouts.

regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hauk

Quote from: Marc988 on July 10, 2012, 01:46:07 PM
Hello Hauk,

regarding the track work, maybe the following link is of use to you ; http://wenz-modellbau.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Store_Shop00671.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop00671/Categories/gleisbau0m

Regards,
Marc

Thanks for The tip!
I am familiar with the Wenz products. I bought one of their turnout kits in 0m, but I found them a bit overpriced as I consider it basically a scratch builders aid more than an actual kit.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Marc988

Hello Hauk,

After reading the thread again and your other articles, I read you made the etch drawings on your Mac.
I recently changed to a Mac and would like to try to make some etchings.

Could you tell me which program you used to make the drawings for the etchings ?

Thanks in advance,
Marc

Hauk

Quote from: Marc988 on July 16, 2012, 11:32:52 AM
Hello Hauk,

After reading the thread again and your other articles, I read you made the etch drawings on your Mac.
I recently changed to a Mac and would like to try to make some etchings.

Could you tell me which program you used to make the drawings for the etchings ?

Thanks in advance,
Marc

As an architect I have access to several CAD-programs at work. For the etching artwork I used VectorWorks.

But you do not need to use professional CAD software for this type of work.  What you need is vector-based drawing program. Adobe Illustrator should work, and I think that there is an CAD plugin for Illustrator that might be useful.

Some very goog etchings has been made using relatively simple and cheap software like CorelDraw. Tobias Ljung, for instance, used this software for his etchings. He has an article about pthat on his homepage:
http://www.ljungz.com/trains/ljungs_mech/techniques/etching.html

there are also several free CAD programs available, but I have never looked into them, and I do not know how many there are for the Mac.

Hope this was somewhat helpful!

Regards,
Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

Hauk

By the way, did I mention that I built two engines in parallell?

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

artizen

So what happened to number 1?  ::)

Amazing work. Please keep posting.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Hauk

Quote from: artizen on August 22, 2012, 03:29:34 AM
So what happened to number 1?  ::)

All parts including wheels and mechanism are just waiting to be built. But building the third engine has a rather low priority. A string of ore cars and some track to run everything on is at the top of the list!

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

Whatever compliment I may have written about the first model applies equally to the second. -- Russ

Mike Engler

Hauk- i read the entire thread today, and I am new to this forum. In fact, this is my first post. Since all the superlatives have been used, I will say that I admire your work because of the perseverance shown in attacking aspects of modeling beyond your comfort level. And for my part, that you introduced me to a different world of modeling mediums and methods such as CAD, etchings, lost wax castings, CNC, ceramic foam, and even soldering. Thanks for inspiring me to try one or more of these in my next project.    Mike
THE Runner
Mike Engler in Lakeville, MN
mike@intagra.com

fspg2

Hauk,
just great! Now two overhead lines, extending the rails at the front right, a figure behind the pane.... and  you've got a 150% illusion. The perspective is great! Five stars!
Are they run capable meantime?
Frithjof

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hauk

Quote from: fspg2 on August 23, 2012, 10:27:10 AM
Hauk,
just great! Now two overhead lines, extending the rails at the front right, a figure behind the pane.... and  you've got a 150% illusion. The perspective is great! Five stars!
Are they run capable meantime?

Yes, they are wired to run on regular two-rail power. If I dont go DCC in the near future, I will probably use the overhead for constant lighting.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

TRAINS1941

Just catching back up with the thread Hauk.  Two are better than one especially when they look so beautful sitting next to each other.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hauk

Quote from: Chuck Doan on August 23, 2012, 11:39:51 AM
Not a Photoshop double? Wow!

I like to think of this prosject as making a custom kit rather than scratchbuilding. I think the second engine took one tenth of the time. The third one might go together even faster.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--