• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

And now for something completely different... 15" gauge in 1/2" scale

Started by RoughboyModelworks, September 09, 2009, 01:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nurser

Hello, Paul.
A little company in Scotland called N-Drive Productions already produces a Katie in 0-9 for 9 mm.gauge.  I'm sure an e-mail to Neville would tell you from whence came his drawings and information.
I don't have the e-mail address with me, but give me half an hour and I'll put it up.

At present I am about to start a brass master for him of "Effie", an even smaller prototype than "Katie".  And I will possibly be doing a master of a Heywood loco in 7/8" scale too.  It is very strange having models on my bench which go from 2mm scale , through 7mm and 1/32nd to 1/12th!!

The best of luck with this project and thanks for picking one of our quirky little chaps.
Of course, Sir Arthur was deadly serious about his choice of gauge.  Despite having enough money not to need to work (what we English used to call "a Gentleman"), he did achieve a decent degree in Engineering from Cambridge.
Check out his fancy "radiating" axles for the 0-8-0 loco.  Who'll be the first to replicate that in the smaller scales?!!

Nurser

Nurser

Hi Paul, OK, so not exactly half an hour!
The e-mail address is n.driveproductions@yahoo.co.uk
Give him a shout.  His name is Neville Kent.

Cheers.

RoughboyModelworks

Nurser:

Thanks for the lead, much appreciated... I'll get in touch with Mr. Kent and see where that leads.

Effie is a TINY one, but cute (not a term usually applied to railway equipment). If any loco could ever be called cute it would be Effie. I'm assuming the master is in one of the larger scales, at least for the sake of your eyes!

Yes, Sir Arthur was definitely a "Gentleman," and a committed individual who could afford the luxury of pursuing and promoting his interests without the nagging concern of how to pay the gas bill this month :) Funny how that interferes with our pursuits... ;) I'm still trying to get my mind around the radiating axles, can't imaging trying to replicate those in miniature and have them be functional. I expect someone with a great deal more machining talent than I have could manage it.

Paul

Nurser

Paul,
I'm not sure if you got my PM about my chum Ken for drawings, but if not let me know and I'll see what went wrong, if it did!  He has drawings of just about every item of Haywood stock.

The master I'm doing is only British O scale (1/43.5), but running on 9mm track.  And yes it IS tiny, but I have a new client who wants 16mm scale stuff.  Now that, I can actually see with my glasses ON!!

Best,
Nurser

RoughboyModelworks

Nurser:

Yes I did receive your PM about Ken and replied to it... hopefully the reply went through. Haven't had an opportunity to contact either gentleman yet, but will do so shortly.  Thanks again for the leads... I'll keep you posted.

Effie in 1/43.5 is TINY... just about 2" long if my mathematic skills aren't failing me completely...

Paul

Nurser

Paul, I think it struggles to reach even that!
I haven't done anything with it just yet as I'm completing an even tinier Wisbech and Upwell Tram Loco in 2mm scale!!

Happy to help.
Best,

Nurser.

marc_reusser

Hector/Martin/Paglesham/Nurser ;) ;D....great to see you posting here again....always enjoy your insight, knowledge and the beautiful work.

Paul; the radiating axle....is that like/sim to the O&K "Klein-Linder" type of axle.....if so, I believe I have a catalog drawing of those (and I think a 3D cutaway image as well), if you are interested...and it's of use for machining reference ;) ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: Nurser on October 12, 2009, 03:44:56 AM
I'm completing an even tinier Wisbech and Upwell Tram Loco in 2mm scale!!
Nurser.

Holy smokes... you must be working with a microscope on that!

Marc: I'm not familiar with the "Klein-Linder" axle specifically. The Duffield Bank radiating axle allowed the wheels to radiate in tandem about the axle while the axle remained perpendicular to the frame, allowing the locos to negotiate tight curves. Essentially there were two axles, the primary steel axle which passed through the bearings and connected with the counter-weights and side-rods. The wheels were connected to a larger diameter hollow iron axle which fit over the primary axle. The two were connected in the center by a ball joint and pin, allowing the outer axle & wheels to pivot on the primary axle, all while rotating. Quite an ingenious system. Would be fun  :o  (in the full masochistic sense) to make one up as a scale machining challenge. Yes please, I would certainly be interested in looking at your catalogue drawing and cutaway -- curious to see if it's a similar solution to the problem.

Paul

Nurser

Marc, thankyou...the numerous names were due to my not being able to log in suddenly and then not being able to get the original name back on, so I had to keep coming up with new ones!!  Nothing to do with secrecy, I assure you. It seems impossible to keep a secret on the ether, doesn't it?  Just my limited computer savviness, I suppose.

The Heywood Collection website has a drawing of that ingenious axle also.  Aparently Heywood came up with it before Klein-Lindner(Linder?)

I doubt it would be needed for anything below 32nd scale and even then would be a tour de force of machining and setting up.

The Tram engine is now finished and so I begin a master for "Effie" in 0-9, which will be a stable mate for N-Drive's "Katie", also in 0-9, but in resin.  This one will be in white metal, so have a bit of weight to pull all those strange vehicles they had.  There was even a sleeping car!!

Cheers,
Nurser

Hauk

A very entertaining and informative thread.
Here ar a couple of links that might be interesting to people reading the thread:

http://www.perrygrove.co.uk/heywood-collection.html
(Yep, I know a link deeper down in the site was posted earlier in the thread, but what the heck...

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCoLOCO/heywood/heywood.htm

Regards, HÃ¥vard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

John McGuyer

RoughboyModelworks

Havard... thanks for posting the radiating axle link, much appreciated.

Nurser: well just for shits and grins or perhaps it's early onset of dementia, but I've started a 3D CAD drawing of the radiating axle. I'm hoping by the time I figure it out the engineering in CAD, I'll have some idea how to machine one... should be fun. Will post drawings here when completed.

Paul