• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Gluing windows?

Started by Ray Dunakin, October 13, 2009, 11:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Anyone have any suggestions for gluing glass/lexan into a scale window frame without getting smudges of glue on the "glass"?? It's driving me nuts. I'm using Testor's "Clear Parts Cement", which dries clear. That helps but you can still see bits of it near the edges of the windows.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

MrBrownstone

Hey Ray,

How are you applying the glue?

Are you applying it to the glass or the window frame?

My approach would be to apply it to the window frame and then remove any eccess.. then carefully place glass in frame...

Hope that helps...

Mike

Ray Dunakin

I'm applying it to the frame. Of course, it doesn't help that I have to install the glass after the building is constructed... a process that at times seems similar to building a ship in a bottle. I need to figure out a way to avoid that in the future.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

MrBrownstone

Hey Ray,

Ahh... Okay... I see... Next one gets assembled when you make the frames?

Is there something you can coat or stick on the windows during construction? that can be removed later?
maybe something water based?

Mike

chester

Ray, have you ever tried canopy glue used by aviation modelers? And I just set all the glass (clear acrylic) in some 1/87 scale windows and I put the glue on after the 'glass' was in the sash so it wouldn't smush (technical term here) out when the glass was pushed into the frames. The glue wicked into the joints but is not visible.

MrBrownstone

Yeah... Ray,

After looking at the structure again.. I do see the problem...

Wish I had a viable solution to share...  Please do share your findings...

thanks

Mike