• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

I finished the window for my ½" scale garage. I used the same construction methods as I did for the one in my barn diorama. I made the frames from O scale 1 X thick basswood and I filled them with panes of microscope cover glass secured with Squadron white putty. The upper pane was deliberately cracked, but the lower one cracked in handling. One pane has unpainted putty simulating a more "recent" repair, perhaps the reason for the security bars. The shade is spray painted tracing paper and the security bars are .02 x .06 styrene strips with Grandt Line rivet heads. After cutting and adding the rivets, the bars were first sprayed with Pactra flat black and allowed to dry overnight. Then I painted them with several water-thinned coats of Polly Scale green. After about 10 minutes dry time, I took a short stiff brush, dipped it in water and carefully brushed the piece until the paint softened and began to chip, exposing the flat black. Then I used gouache and weathering powders to add the fading, streaking, rust colors and bleed thru. The backs of the windows were dusted with fine powdery dirt. A few sawdust chip leaves were added to the sill as a final touch. The Champion decal is from Microscale decals, and the closed sign was printed from a picture found on Flickr.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Scratchman

LLOYD

Hello Chuck,

with you, the only "problem", that become impossible to recognize reality with the model, or the model with reality!
You work with a microscope?
Wonderfull work and great quality of photograph
Sincerely!
Lloyd

TRAINS1941

Chuck

As one would expect a very nice job indeed, great photo's.  And a very good tutorial.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Holy moly!! I think you just "raised the bar" again!  Amazing work!

Are those the street numbers by the upper right corner of the door? Where did you get those?

What did you use for the screen?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Chuck, I am exasperated by your abuse of this forum. You continally try to pass off actual derelict structures as models. If you continue with this charade I may be forced to take punitive action.

On the other hand, your photos do provide inspiration to all of us so some lenience is possible. Besides, the fictitious techniques you have described actually do work when real modelers employ them.

Finally, your penalty for humor a couple of weeks ago was to attend yesterday's Terrapin meet. You failed to appear. Your parole officer may force you, at gunpoint, to attend my meet in November at which time you will be subjected to intense interrogation (and perhaps admiration) by all modelers present.

On a less serious note, if it is even possible, the current model may be your best yet. I have run out of superlatives to describe my reaction.

Russ

jacq01

I will not spoil the moment with words, just enjoy looking at it.

thanks
     Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much!
Ray, the numbers are Grandt Line HO building date numbers.  The screening is made from Stainless steel wire cloth. I think it was 180 mesh. I got it from Mcmaster-Carr industrial supply in a 12" square piece. I cut the pieces and dipped them in printed circuit board etchant to thin them a bit (careful, they will eventually dissolve!) and to darken the color. Final coloring was with thinned Burnt Umber Gousche applied with a cosmetic sponge so as not to fill the fine holes. It is easy to add distressing if desired.
www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-wire-cloth/ =1ddbc9
www.mcmaster.com/#85385t712/=1ddd0z
Russ, I can't recall what attempt at humor got me into so much trouble. Wished I could have made it to the meet.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

chester

Fabulous work as usual Chuck. Interesting rendition of the metal drip originally painted like the siding. Thanks for the how-to. It's quite possible that your optician is the best in the world as you see things more clearly than anyone I know.

lucas gargoloff

Very  very nice... as always Great Chuck!! You are a great teacher for all!! Thanks for sharing!
Lucas Gargoloff - Argentina

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Chuck Doan on July 20, 2009, 02:38:26 PM
Thanks very much!
Ray, the numbers are Grandt Line HO building date numbers.

I'm having trouble finding those on their website. Are they part of a kit?

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the nice words! Chester, I thank FLickr. A whole bunch of weathering enablers over there.
Ray, It it is P/N 5219, building plates and numbers. Its 3532 in O scale architectural details with a picture. the HO numbers are .100 high I believe.

Ray Dunakin

Ah, I see. Thanks Chuck!

Ray Dunakin's World

Franck Tavernier

Awesome, outstanding...As always Magic Chuck!  ;) :P

danpickard

Chuck,
The security bars aren't quite parallel........................................ ;D

Would probably score quite badly as a NMRA structure;
poor paint job, boards not square, cracked glass during construction (note to builder, be more gentle with your technique), poor transfer of decals and signage, needs more glue where numbers have fallen off, incomplete paint finish on window, could do with a general clean...

About time you introduced some of this piece to the forum!

Dan