• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: marc_reusser on November 05, 2009, 11:28:46 PM
I would be interested in seeng some more photos of Bernard Junks layout/modules if you can manage. (Wasn't he the fellow that Frank Tavernier built the Quarry Rogounalt (sp?) layout with?])

M

Marc,

I know Bernard and he is one of my friend for a long time. The fellow who built the Quarry Rougeault isn't Bernard, but Philippe Cousyn, a close friend  ;)

marc_reusser

Nothing at all earth shattering, but finally got off my but and decided to try and move this project forward again....so I figured I would post a couple of pics to prove it. ;) ;D

Forming the cab walls.......

Decided to try Ken's heat-n-pull forming method. Took a piece of Poplar wood, and milled it to the needed interior cab dimension, clamped some .015" styrene between the wood, and a metal milling block. Heated the plastic along the bend area with a heat gun, and when soft enough pulled it down and around the wood former. Repeated with the other side. (The result is the top image below).

The after setting, each piece was removed from the wood form and rough trimmed.
(Lower Image below)

M

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

No wonder I never build anything; I would never in a million years think of milling poplar (on the mill I don't own) and using a heat gun and all that other exotic stuff to form styrene over it. Coming up with such solutions one reason Marc and some of you others create such masterpieces. Impressive. -- Russ

jacq01

Marc.

QuoteI would be interested in seeng some more photos of Bernard Junks layout/modules if you can manage

Have a look in the Walferdange topic.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

A small amount of progress on this evening....

Using the milled form as backing, the styrene piece was cut to the needed size. This was then firmly affixed to the backing block using Tamiya masking tape. I then chose the radius gauge that I though worked best.

Holding the gauge firmly in place, an Xacto was used to cut the radius.

The bulkhead pieces loosley placed on the model.

...I also added the 'L' angles at the interior all the rivets, and the round beading around the edge...but need to wait for the putty to fully dry so I can wet sand it before taking a pic.

Jacq:   Thanks for the layout pics. Much appreciated.

M

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks Marc

Probably demonstrating my ignorance but had never seen or heard of a radius gauge - always struggled making small and repetitive curves .
Found supplier in UK and now ordered  :)

Model looks good ...  the target of disguising the donor vehicle certainly being achieved.
Gordon

MrBrownstone

Very cool... Marc,

How do you like useing ken's styrene molding techniques? a worthy process?

Mike

Marc988

Quote from: gfadvance on November 22, 2009, 06:18:56 AM
Thanks Marc

Probably demonstrating my ignorance but had never seen or heard of a radius gauge - always struggled making small and repetitive curves .
Found supplier in UK and now ordered  :)

Model looks good ...  the target of disguising the donor vehicle certainly being achieved.

Could you post a link of the supplier you found for the radius gauge ??

Thakns in advance,
Marc

jacq01

Marc988 { we have to define another name/number to distinguish you from Marc)

QuoteCould you post a link of the supplier you found for the radius gauge ??

here a link: http://www.abmtools.com/Gauges/Radius_Gauge.htm

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: Marc988 on November 22, 2009, 10:58:27 AM

Could you post a link of the supplier you found for the radius gauge ??

Thakns in advance,
Marc

Hi, this is the supplier I ordered from in the UK http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/

just type in "radius gauge" in the search box ......... I have ordered the 1mm to 7mm unit

Gordon

Marc988

Quote from: jacq01 on November 22, 2009, 11:14:03 AM

Marc988 { we have to define another name/number to distinguish you from Marc)

Jacq

Oh no, not again  ::)  ;D
We had the same "issue" on another forum  :o

Marc R, would you like to be the one with the "revolving" and "universe" stuff  ;)

I'll sign off with Marc B ( if I don't forget  ::)  ;D )

Regards,
Marc B

Thanks BTW for the Link Jacq  !!

marc_reusser

Guys.....before everyone rundns out and spends their hard earned money on radius gauges, let me say they are not the end-all to making great radiuses......they do help me (I find them easier to use than a plastic circle template where the Xacto blade can get hung up on)....but they still require a lot of care and patience when cutting around, and always use a new blade when cutting arcs/circles...and you will still have to do some final sanding.

....also...my set of gauges looks a lot different than the ones posted in Jacqs link (so may be easier to use)......mine belonged to my father-in-law who used to be a master machinist at Douglas Aircraft during WW2, and later development of the X-3.....so they likely date from sometime between the 1940's-1960's.  They were made by a German company called "Helios".  The pic below shows the set and two of the gauge pieces. Note that each piece has 5 areas to check the differnt shapes/types/applications of the same radius.

BTW..re the name confusion....on job sites the workers rarely use my name .....usually they just yell someting ending in ".....tu madre" at me,  I have no idea what they are saying...but I assume it is something about what a good son my mother raised......anyhow...I always know they are talking to me. They also seem to have given me a quaint nickname...something like "Pendecho" or such....I assume it means "buddy" or "friend". ;) ;D  ....

M

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: marc_reusser on November 22, 2009, 02:31:11 PM
usually they just yell someting ending in ".....tu madre" at me,  I have no idea what they are saying...but I assume it is something about what a good son my mother raised......anyhow...I always know they are talking to me. They also seem to have given me a quaint nickname...something like "Pendecho" or such....I assume it means "buddy" or "friend". ;) ;D  ....
M
I expect they are nothing more than colloquial terms of endearment... ;)

Paul

marc_reusser

After getting home from a 13 hour day and some 700 miles on the road to have a family Thanksgiving, I needed to de-stress a bit, so I sat at the bench and did some mindless work......

The rolled edge at the cab walls was done using a continuous .030 styrene rod, set flush/tangent to the interior side. Each section of the wall was glued separately, then left to fully cure, while held in place with some Tamiya masking tape, before the rod was bent and attached to the next section. (The small blob of putty seen on in the corner above was due to the application of too much pressure on the plastic rod with the tweezers, while bending. This caused an indentation/divot in the rod which required some filling/repair.)

.023" dia. rivets were punched from .010" styrene using the Waldron micro-punch and die set. Once cured, a Micro-Mark fiberglass pencil was run over them to ease the top edges. (To give a more arced top appearance.)

MR

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

They also seem to have given me a quaint nickname...something like "Pendecho" or such....I assume it means

Oh yea it's a term of endearment alright,.................. ;D
More like "Pendeho"

I have a set of radius gauges, just like yours, mine are from my father who was a master machinest for forty years. All of his tools were german made, no made in China back then,...........
It's time lke these I miss my father the most,.........if I had only listened,...............................

Gil
aka Mr Potato Head
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho