I was looking through some photos on my hard-disk last night, when I got a the wild idea of seeing if I could convert a Bachmann Davenport into a "plausible" Deutz inspired loco in 1/32 or 1/35 scale.
The first problem to overcome, or mitigate, was the very easily identifiable Bachmann frame.....I just hate seeing so many of these conversions on-line, and you can always immediately tell that it is a Bachmann frame. Of course because I plan to use the weights and rods, as well as the bonnet, I will only be able to mitigate this to a certain point.....but it's worth the try.
First thing to do was to disassemble the loco, and clamp it into the vise on the milling machine....all the work was done with the frame in the vise....except for this Rube Goldberg set-up to mill the rear end.
The main changes were reducing the deck thickness to .030 (which was was done by milling from both the top and the bottom, and narrowing the overall width of the frame to more closely resemble the approx 45" width of a Deutz OMZ.
The housing that encloses the worm-gear in th Bmann loco is longer on the top than on the inside, so I was able to shorten this to just inside the cast on band. I also milled a bolt flange at the bottom where it meets the deck. (yes...as you can see I did have some "chatter" on the bit
This rear view shows where the worm-gear housing was milled shorter, and the end-sill was milled thinner by .030" (leaving a .010 bump below the coupler box opening because of the existing screw hole)
This shows the amount of material removed on the underside. I milled back just far enough to retain a small strip of the lip that holds the side-frames in place.
...other than clean-up, that's pretty much the extent of the initial changes to the frame. The rest will be done with styrene.
I also started some work on the bonnet, but those pictures wil have to wait till I am a bit further along.
Below are two quick examples of the type of Deutz locos that inspired me to try this.