• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

QuoteBy the way where is the small caboose (bobber) going?

We ( Alan,Nick and I ) have been discussing the use of cabooses. If this one is available, I don't have to make one myself to test it out.  ;D ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Design-HSB

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 21, 2011, 03:39:18 AM
Needed to test/experiment some techniques for dust, oil and grime using the new AK pigments and the the Engine Grease mix, for a currrent project, so I hauled out this old  build to try them on. (Also used the new Dark Steel and Med. Rust pigments for the seat and metalic areas at the top of the cab walls, as well as some dilluted pin washes of the Africa Dust wash on the bonnet and for streaking.)

Mv
Hi Marc,

The locomotive on a good diorama photographed is determined no longer to be distinguished from a genuine.

I myself just construct a BBA Akkulok 1:22.5 scale, can I get you to win, to age the finished locomotive that?
Just kidding but I probably need a lot Work to practice I can do that.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 21, 2011, 10:04:10 PM
Quote from: Carlo on October 21, 2011, 10:27:09 AM
Marc -
How about some details on the "new AK pigments and the the Engine Grease mix"?
What is it, where do I get it, and how did you use it? Especially the worn-but shiny metal accents on the seat and cab edges.
Carlo

Carlo,

I can't completly divulge the grease mix that I did, as it is something I am doing for a project that when done will have a full SBS about it. I can say it is nothing completely new, and is adapted from Chucks technique. I do utilize the new AK "engine grime" color, and some oil paints from Abt-502.

The new AK "dark steel" pigment that I used for the seats and highlighting some wear areas, is interesting and much better than I thought it would be. At first I figured it would be hovhum like some of the steel/metal pigments already on the market....which tend to give the shine and lightness of graphite. I was quite surprised to find that this had,  IMO, a much darker richer coloration, and the pigment seems to be far finer ground than any metalics I have seen before. Unlike other metalic pigments which have a slightly sparkly/flecked/mottled look in the container, this stuff is dead matte charcol colored...could easily be confused with aregular pigment....once applied (I used an aetists stump and a brush) it begins to get a dark dull lustre that can then pe rubbed out with a soft cloth or Q-tip...to give it a richer sheen and depth. Because of what seems to be a much finer and more condentrated pigment, one seems to get a much smoother, even and consistent surface finish, as compared to graphite or other pigments I have used.

AK products are available in the US directly from the distributors website "AK Interactive USA". In Europenthey are available directly from the shop/mfr in Spain. Some online or brick and mortar hobby shops that are military modeling oriented will also likely carry some or all of their line....but I would just buy direct from AK. Iain that runs the US arm is a great guy, and they ship very fast.

Marc,

Nice job, and awesome as usual!

the shiny rusted metal with wear effect on the seat and cab edges is perfect...

Look at this :

Franck

mad gerald

Quote from: Franck Tavernier on October 29, 2011, 03:47:42 AM
Look at this :

Franck,

is this a Lilliput Diesel locomotive, manufactured by Frères Heim ... ? Where is it located?

Regards

Franck Tavernier

Hi Gerald,

Yes, it's a little HEIM gas loco, at the Chimot brickworks (50cm gauge), at Marly, near Valenciennes, north France  ;)

http://www.ingr.co.uk/chimot.html

Franck

mad gerald

Quote from: Franck Tavernier on October 29, 2011, 05:26:25 AM
Yes, it's a little HEIM gas loco, at the Chimot brickworks (50cm gauge), at Marly, near Valenciennes, north France  ;)

... ah! ... merci ...  ;D

jacq01

Frank,

will you visit the Railexpo in Villebon at the end of November ?  If so, drop in and join Nick and me having a beer.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: jacq01 on October 29, 2011, 07:33:39 AM

Frank,

will you visit the Railexpo in Villebon at the end of November ?  If so, drop in and join Nick and me having a beer.

Jacq

Jacq ,

You are going to have to bring your own beer , as usual , because the French stuff isn't up to much . Maybe we should be cracking open a nice bottle of wine instead .

Franck ,

Thanks for posting the extra photos of that little HEIM loco , I have only got the last photo from Steve Thomason's website . It only goes to show that Marc has not weathered his " Deutz" anywhere near enough !

Nick

mad gerald

Quote from: shropshire lad on October 29, 2011, 11:54:36 AM
Franck ,
Thanks for posting the extra photos of that little HEIM loco , I have only got the last photo from Steve Thomason's website ...

Nick, just in case you are interested ... and have a registration at www.feldbahn.forumieren.de (former: kipplore.de) ... there is a report about Heim locomotives at Tarn with photos like this ...

Regards

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: jacq01 on October 29, 2011, 07:33:39 AM

Frank,

Jacq

Jacq ,

I don't think so, I have family obligations this week end, sorry, and thanks for the beer  ;)

Franck

marc_reusser

Coming shortly.....Had to read this thread first so I could remember what I did, and where I was headed.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

And you wondered why I wrote "Hmmm" in the other thread. You see, both renderings are superb and one eventually tires of employing the same adjectives, doesn't one? When I see it in person I might say, "Ah." But don't quote me. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Ah. Mmm.

So here are the materials we will be using to finish the dirt and oil on this.

AK:
Engine Grime
Engine Oil
FuelStains
Dark Wash for Green Vehicles (this is also being used for the oil stains...not as a wash for the loco)
Shadows Grey For Ships (Oil color in tube)

MIG:
Endgine Grease (Oil color in Tube)
Dark Industrial Earth (Oil color in tube)
Pigment Fixer

5 colors of grey/tan/brown pigments from (Mig, Bragdon, AGAMA, AK)
Black-Grey pigment is a mix of pigments, .0024 sifted soil, and some dried crushed parsley sards and some really short hemp trimmings. (the last two items are included sparingly to represent the occasional organic detritus that gets stuck in the areas of coagulated oils and grease.)

Also used is Odorless Turpentine from AK or Abt-502.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

OK,

I finally got all the bits you suggested  together !

Now trying to get ahead of you I have mixed all the AK paints together in one pot

All the Mig oils in another

And finally in the 3rd pot I mixed all the pigments ....... Did not bother about ratios or anything like that

Then in a slightly wild and random, but controlled way, I brushed the first 2 mixtures over the loco and then using my wife's best sugar sifter poured the pigment powders, premixed, over the still wet paint & oils.

Just waiting for it to dry out and will then post pic  ;D

Would you suggest doing it in a different order ? ;)

Edit:

Just realised I forgot the Parsley leaves and the hemp ....... Could I just sort of glue them on now?
Gordon

marc_reusser

Turpentine, how many times do I have to tell you...Turpentine! The Parsley can be used as a topper, but the hemp is better mixed in....which leads to a point you forgot, you need to half-bake it in the oven at a med temp till done.

I am glad you followed my instructions so concisely.

Marc
(stop nagging....an sbs is forthcoming)  :)

M-Works