• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/32 Deutz-(ish) Gas Mech (Using Bmann Davenport)

Started by marc_reusser, July 01, 2009, 01:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Quote from: Carlo on October 21, 2011, 10:27:09 AM
Marc -
How about some details on the "new AK pigments and the the Engine Grease mix"?
What is it, where do I get it, and how did you use it? Especially the worn-but shiny metal accents on the seat and cab edges.
Carlo

Carlo,

I can't completly divulge the grease mix that I did, as it is something I am doing for a project that when done will have a full SBS about it. I can say it is nothing completely new, and is adapted from Chucks technique. I do utilize the new AK "engine grime" color, and some oil paints from Abt-502.

The new AK "dark steel" pigment that I used for the seats and highlighting some wear areas, is interesting and much better than I thought it would be. At first I figured it would be hovhum like some of the steel/metal pigments already on the market....which tend to give the shine and lightness of graphite. I was quite surprised to find that this had,  IMO, a much darker richer coloration, and the pigment seems to be far finer ground than any metalics I have seen before. Unlike other metalic pigments which have a slightly sparkly/flecked/mottled look in the container, this stuff is dead matte charcol colored...could easily be confused with aregular pigment....once applied (I used an aetists stump and a brush) it begins to get a dark dull lustre that can then pe rubbed out with a soft cloth or Q-tip...to give it a richer sheen and depth. Because of what seems to be a much finer and more condentrated pigment, one seems to get a much smoother, even and consistent surface finish, as compared to graphite or other pigments I have used.

AK products are available in the US directly from the distributors website "AK Interactive USA". In Europenthey are available directly from the shop/mfr in Spain. Some online or brick and mortar hobby shops that are military modeling oriented will also likely carry some or all of their line....but I would just buy direct from AK. Iain that runs the US arm is a great guy, and they ship very fast.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

danpickard

You could easily fix all the "problems" Marc with a nice big green tarp over the whole thing ;D

I still reckon you're being a bit hard on yourself with the finishes here.  Looking back a the initial heavy chipping, which was corrected back halfway through the thread, I think this current amount of chipped surface is still subtle enough, and given that the chips are placed in logical wear points, still presents as a very plausable image.  The dirt and grease markings around the panel handles looks like well worn in staining to me.  Bit hard to tell from that latest photo, but maybe those panel handles need a bit of the buffing like along the cab edges, but then again, how often would have they actually had to use these handles?  May have just been dirt catchers, rather than wear points.

Panel modulation paint effects is still one of those finishes that I have mixed feelings about, and I think it comes down to how the model is photographed.  If using natural outdoor lighting, the panels should take on their own "natural modulation" based on how the light spills over the model.  However,if shooting photo's strictly indoors, I see where these paint modulation effects come into play a bit more, in creating some false lighting reflections.  Its not a painting effect seen in many model railway settings, but is certainly more frequently used in the military circles.  Its one of those finishes which (and this is just my view), is almost one of those "character" looks in that field of modelling.  Maybe questionable if it's a realistic effect, but its sort of the "standard" of how paint effects are utilised (where as a lot of railways stuff can be a bit "just add some rust powder")...if that makes sense.

Of course, if you are still unhappy with the finish after all that, I am happy to have a go at changing scales to accomodate that loco over here ;)

Dan

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 21, 2011, 09:42:04 PM
Thanks guys. That's all very kind of you.  There are things, as it stands so far, that I am happy with, and a good number of things I am not happy with. The worst 2 offenders for me, is that I just didn't know when to stop chipping, and thus overdid it; the other is the amont and size of grease stains on the vertical side panels. Then there are some other issues, such as mot enough panel shading and variation, and not the best rain/dirt streaking on the vert surfaces (this last item though can still be adressed).  I am quite happy with the red color and the sun fading/spotting on it, and I am happy with the dirt in the cab, as well as the oily dirt ontop of the running board/surface next to the engine compartment. So its not a complete basket case yet (though still a chance to be when I get around to doing the rest someday)...and if I stick it in a really busy dio, maybe nobody will notice or care. :D

Nick...I think you are talking nutters and must have falln from your roof again. I used your and Francks Deutz as inspiration.

M

You think I'm talking nutters ? I beg to differ . I figure my Deutz can only be used as an example of how not to do it ( actually , I'm still pleased with how it came out but like yours there is room for improvement) . Franck's was a Gmeinder , by the way . And he sold it to Bernard Junk , curse him!

I can see how you think you over did the chipping , especially on the bonnet ( "hood" , to the non English speakers in our midst ) but it still looks all plausible . Looking at some of the photos in my Die Feldbahn books your Deutz is a model of restraint as there are some seriously weathered locos in them with more oil floating around on them than the Gulf of Mexico .

If the worst comes to the worst you could always blitz it with a couple of squirts from a Floquil Instant Weathering spray can .

Funnily enough , I have got just the diorama that it would " disappear" into where no one will see it . Perfick ! Don't listen to our Aussie friend , he is just not geared up to receiving it at this time and it would be a waste of postage .

I suggest you put it away again and come back to it another day ,

Nick

danpickard

Hey Nick,
Wasn't there some talk of you maybe heading down this way in the future?  Maybe Marc could post it over to you first, hide it in amongst your weeds and brick piles for a little while, and then stick it in a box for the trip.  The Queen's here in town at the minute...I'm sure she'd love to catch up ;D

Dan

finescalerr

Marc, if you think you failed at any aspect of finishing that model you're NUTS! I've seen actual locomotives that don't look as real. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Very nice indeed.  That is really a realistic looking engine.  What's the chances we see this one finished.  It would be a shame to just leave it as is.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

W.P. Rayner

Quote from: finescalerr on October 22, 2011, 12:10:51 PM
Marc, if you think you failed at any aspect of finishing that model you're NUTS! I've seen actual locomotives that don't look as real. -- Russ
Yah... what Russ said... I think it looks great.

Paul

shropshire lad

Quote from: danpickard on October 22, 2011, 01:55:47 AM
Hey Nick,
Wasn't there some talk of you maybe heading down this way in the future?  Maybe Marc could post it over to you first, hide it in amongst your weeds and brick piles for a little while, and then stick it in a box for the trip.  The Queen's here in town at the minute...I'm sure she'd love to catch up ;D

Dan

Dan ,

I am hoping to try and make it to the Narrow Gauge Convention in Melbourne in 2013 ( finances permitting ) so maybe when Marc sends it to me I can bring it on tour , sort of like a Royal Visit , but without all the BS .

Say HI to Betty for me and tell her to pop around for a cuppa tea when she gets back .

Nick

marc_reusser

Um, it appears the loco has a conflict of interest (that is if it gets completed, and/or avoids the rubbish bin) the NNGC is here in Pasadena in 2013....and it may wish to attend.

I figure if I finish every started/incomplete model in my drawers by then, I might have a couple of contest entries :P ;D.

Thanks for all the kind words about the build,....was there a sale on rose colored glasses somewhere. ;) ;D

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Junior

Fantastic job.... :o! It doesen´t get any better than this. This should be one heck of a diorama - hope I don´t have to wait until 2013 to see it finished. By the way where is the small caboose (bobber) going?

Anders

nk

Marc, I would be very happy with these results, especially the faded red paint. The chipping does not look overdone to me, but I am no locomotive expert.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

michael mott

Let's face it Marc is his own worst enemy. And a good job too, how else would we all have a bar set to climb?

Marc the Loco looks great!!!! leave it alone for Christ's Sake!

Put it on a diorama and be done with it.

Without Prejudice Michael

danpickard

Sorry Marc, it looks cr*p, I was just lying through my teeth when I dished out the attaboy earlier.
Best put it in the bin then with an Aussie postcode marked on the side of it ;)
It will be incentive then for Nick to come down and pick it up in a few years.

By the way Nick, I ran in to Liz and passed on your message.  She said "who the f*%$ is Nick?" ;D

Dan

shropshire lad

Quote from: danpickard on October 23, 2011, 10:37:18 PM

By the way Nick, I ran in to Liz and passed on your message.  She said "who the f*%$ is Nick?" ;D

Dan

She's a one , is old Lizzy , always winding people up . She only said that to you to make you feel better , 'cos I'm her friend and you're not .

Nick

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 23, 2011, 01:48:14 AM
Um, it appears the loco has a conflict of interest (that is if it gets completed, and/or avoids the rubbish bin) the NNGC is here in Pasadena in 2013....and it may wish to attend.

I figure if I finish every started/incomplete model in my drawers by then, I might have a couple of contest entries :P ;D.

Thanks for all the kind words about the build,....was there a sale on rose colored glasses somewhere. ;) ;D

M

Marc , you just don't get it . One of your " not so wonderful " or "just an experiment" models are miles better than most peoples best effort , and , as I've said before , it would be criminal if you binned any of your models .
It doesn't matter if they are not finished or not good enough for YOU they are of interest to other people ,and should be kept , even if they are just used examples of how your modelling has developed over the years .

Just put them in a box and give them to Uncle Russ next time he sees you . Then he can pass them off as his own work .

You could even auction them off and give the money to charity.

Just don't bin anything ,

Nick