• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Brick Wall (using Don Railton's approach)

Started by marc_reusser, May 29, 2009, 03:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

It's still sitting here in search of the right project. ;) ;D

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

eTraxx

Ok. Thanks. After reading that thread, I was curious to stumble around the net a bit. My gosh that stuff is expensive! Precision Board is a brand name for HDU (High Density Urethane) but everywhere I looked it is much the same. I didn't find anything of a reasonable thickness. In an case, where looking around I ran across 'Castable Rigid Urethane Foam' by Foam-it. It says it's available in 3,5,8,10 and 15-pound densities. I was looking at that and wondering if it might be possible to 'cast your own' sheets. It is certainly a lot more reasonable. They have a 1.9 lb 'trial size' for $25

http://www.smooth-on.com/Rigid-and-Flexible/c10_1122/index.html?catdepth=1
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Don Railton

Speaking of old posts and Styrofoam, I was inspired from pictures of a building created by the Danish artist Troels Kirk.  Approximately half of the building was foundation made of block stone.  Unlike Troels' design, I based my foundation on a stone wall entrance to a golf course about one mile from my home. 

Carving is time consuming but it is a bit faster than placing one brick, then another, then another...

Don

Don Railton

More shots.

Malachi Constant

Don --

Thanks for the multiple pix!  The bricks are rotten ... in a rather convincing way ... coloring on the roof shingles is equally impressive.
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Don, are you in town? Haven't seen anything from you in a long time. Nice work. -- Russ

eTraxx

@don .. that building is certainly "Troels Kirk'ish" .. :) .. excellent!
Question: Is this the blue/pink styrofoam? and what scale please?
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Don Railton

Hello Russ - Not in town but in NY.  I have been spending some of my time "re-doing" the cellar (lots of fun).  Maybe I can get out to CA at the end of the year and make another Terrapin meet. 

eTraxx - It is the blue stuff from Lowes.  The scale is 1/32.

Don

finescalerr

Don, I meant your town, not mine. Seems like last time you posted you said something about doing some traveling. It's good to see that you also found time to do a little high quality modeling. -- Russ

Don Railton

Russ - I do travel on my job about 20 weeks per year in an area that covers from Maine to Washington, DC to Wisconsin.   The frequent flyer miles add up.

Don   

marc_reusser

Don,

I think this came out great. I like the dry-stack ledgestone effect that you have created.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Don Railton

Thanks Marc, Ray, Russ and Dallas - I hope this thread continues with some examples from others of carved brick, stone, block etc.   This is another option when working in the larger scales.

Don

Malachi Constant

I suppose this item is tangentially related ... took some cast-foam retaining walls and cut them up to make a "tiny" stone station in 1:35 ... using Magic Sculp to make fill-in stones where the wall sections are dove tailed together.
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Looking good, Dallas! I like tiny buildings like that. What was the source of the foam walls?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World