• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Oregon Portage Railroad Oregon Pony

Started by Scratchman, May 20, 2009, 09:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

This engine is a small 0-4-0  5 foot gauge built by Valcan Iron Works of San Francisco in 1862. It was the first steam locomotive in the northwest and may have been the first locomotive built on the west coast. She has been restored and resides in her own little glass building at the Cascade Locks Historical Museum in Cascade Locks, Oregon.The plan I have is in the January/February 1990 Gazette drawn by Daniel Kieft these are only basic plans and don't go into a lot of detail. I have found some photos on the internet but still looking for more.  Any photos are welcome.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

jacq01

Hello Gordon,

long time no see....

Off to something new ?

Do you have this one already ? 

"Mrs Duncan teakettle"  a photo on page 52 in "Logging the redwoods" by L. Carranco and John T Labbe.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Scratchman

Jacq, I have finished the out houses,the two trucks the Lombard, and have a good start on my backdrop diorama. So it's time for a little loco or two. I don't know if I have that photo I know I don't have that book. Is the photo of the Oregon Pony? After I get this engine started I will start a thread on the 3 foot gauge Apache Power Co. Porter Fireless Locomotive. Both of these locos are on display and with in a days drive of my home. The drawing for this engine is in January/February 2001 Gazette, but more on that later. I'm also looking at starting the Westfield plantation railway's 30" gauge #4 (2nd) gas mechanical, built from a Case tractor. There are no plans for this and I could make any tractor work. This loco is some what like Marty's Plymouth. I will Also do some of the cane cars used on this railway. Wooden 15 foot 4 wheel cars,from Bodley Wagon Works Staunton,VA. and  Southern Car Company, Chattanooga,TN. This information is in the May/June 2007 Gazette.

Back to the Pony I will be building it in 1:16 scale  and it will be gauge to standard gauge. This will let me set it on my new diorama.

Gordon Birrell

marc_reusser

I don't seem to be seeing any pictures in the posts...are there supposed to be pictures?...or am I having a stroke?  :-\........I'm not smelling toast or tasting copper  ???

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Scratchman

Marc, is that better. I like the injector or is it just a Water pump.I am looking for more detail on the back head,valve gear,and ash pan.

Gordon Birrell

marc_reusser

Thanks Gordon. Thats a cool little loco. Unfortunately I am useless insofar as the information you are after. :-\...have you tried asking the Wiz or Jim W.....this seems like something that might be right up their alley.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Krusty

QuoteI like the injector or is it just a Water pump.

It appears to be a drive cylinder with a water pump mounted on the side. What's really strange is the linkage to the drive shaft. In the photo it's hard to see how the shaft would clear the wheel and frame when the crank is at the bottom of the revolution.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

RoughboyModelworks

Fascinating piece of equipment, though I think Platypus  ;) might be a better moniker than Pony... very curious assemblage of bits and pieces. Really looking forward to see what you do with this one Gordon.

Paul

jacq01

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Scratchman

Thanks, everyone for your input. I will put this search over on the railroad line forum. Maybe someone over there has some personal photos of this Tea Pot. I can see it's hard to get good photos though the glass.

Jacq, thanks for the link to some great logging photos. A quick study of the photos, I would say that they are not the same engine but do look like sisters, with the Pony built in the early 60s and Mrs. Duncan Teakettle later that decade.       

Gordon Birrell

Scratchman

Here is one of the better photos I have.  You can see how much room there is between the wheel and frame.  The prototype is 5 foot gauge and my model is standard gauge so I have less room. So I have to do a little give and take. The valve gear is inside of the frame.

Gordon Birrell

Krusty

QuoteHere is one of the better photos I have.  You can see how much room there is between the wheel and frame.  The prototype is 5 foot gauge and my model is standard gauge so I have less room. So I have to do a little give and take. The valve gear is inside of the frame.

That makes things a lot clearer. I guess you're dependent on other peoples' photographs for this. One thing that's handy if you do get to worship at the real thing in a case like this is a rubber lens hood – you can press it against the glass to kill the reflections, but still move the camera around a bit to frame your shots.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Scratchman

Old Betsey, this is another little engine also built in 1862 by Vulcan Iron works of San Francisco, California. Plans are in the March/April 1990 Gazette. 

Gordon Birrell

Scratchman