• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Corliss project

Started by lab-dad, May 18, 2009, 09:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Holy moly!! That looks beautiful! And very complex.

Is this going to be a working model?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

David King

Wow!  Modelers that can work that well with brass always amaze me.  I've played with brass some but never got far with it, (and don't even want to get into my very short stint as a hobby machinist!) part of the problem is working in metal is a lot harder on the arthritis and tendonitis.  Like the others said, it almost be a shame to cover it up in paint, but you'll always have the photos.

David
"It's almost written down as a formula, that when a man begins to think that he has at last found his method, he had better begin a most searching examination of himself to see wether some part of his brain has gone to sleep." - Henry Ford

http://www.dsao.fotki.com/

TRAINS1941

-MJ

You know your really getting good at this modeling thing!!!

Just excellent!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hauk

Quote from: lab-dad on January 03, 2010, 09:12:54 AM

And yes the linkage is all functional. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Real nice work!
For the working links, how do you obtain nice, tight rivet connections that are not locked up?
I have been dabbling with rivet connections for functional linkages, but I find it hard to obtain consistent results.

Do yus any special tools?

Regards, Håvard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

lab-dad

Unc,
I'll have to paint it, it is silly to make a scale model and then leave it as a "toy"
Dont worry though, there will be plenty of brass showing  ;)

Gil / Ray,
This will be a "dynamic" model; it will operate but i will use a small electric motor hidden somewhere.
Once I get it going I will shoot a movie (then figure out how to post it ???)

Havard,
The connections at the links are not rivets but bolts.
I can see how they look like rivets in the picture.
The originals used acorn nuts so that is what I will use, just have not ordered/installed them.
Sorry for the confusion!
I wish I could do rivets in .030"!
I would think using a .032" tube and flaring the ends with a die of sorts would work.

Thanks guys!
-Marty

Hauk

Quote from: lab-dad on January 05, 2010, 05:01:36 AM

Havard,
The connections at the links are not rivets but bolts.

No kidding?
I could have sweared that you must have used rivets to pin the four arms to the solid wheel in the center...

I would be very interested in where you can obtain such bolts, maybe I could substitute my rivets for bolts in some situations. Are there hexnuts on the back?

Regards, Håvard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

jacq01

Havard,

QuoteI have been dabbling with rivet connections for functional linkages, but I find it hard to obtain consistent results.

I solder rivets keeping moving parts together. I learned the trick from Pete McParlin of Backwoods Miniatures.
Punch a hole in a piece of printing paper and put it between the 2 parts. Push the rivet through and solder the rivet to part closest to the end of the rivet. File solder joint nicely round and remove the piece of paper. Has worked for me with H0e linkages of BM's Fowler and for the On30 Mallet I am building at the moment. Works much better than the shoulder rivets from Weinert, etc.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

Havard,
The large disc (wrist plate) is drilled and tapped, the bolts come through to the front and then I will attach the acorn nuts.
These are 1mm, scale hardware dot com has functional "bolts" down to .5mmhttp://www.scalehardware.com/
They are only 10 miles from me but I still just mail order.

Jacq,
I'll have to try that tip. Thanks!

marc_reusser

I don't know what to say about this!....really incredible :o....but, you're completely f*ing nutters! ;) ;D

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Marty, maybe instead of paint you could use metal blackener or that stuff Paul Rayner mentioned or something else. -- Russ

RoughboyModelworks

Good tip Jacq. Another method is to use graphite as a barrier. You can actually do this with a soft pencil or NeoLube, just draw or brush a line at the outer perimeter of where you want the solder to flow. It won't flow past the graphite unless, you're using way too much solder.

Paul

jacq01

Paul,

what is important with the piece of paper methode is the small clearance ( 0,3mm) enabling free movement around the rivet of the linkage part.
  I have used barrier material preventing solder to penetrate too deep, but it resulted nearly always in a too tight fit of the parts.
  That piece of paper is just enough to take care of tolerances associated with the linkages.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

This is really quite stunning!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Brian Donovan

Very nice work! but what does a Corliss engine do?
I tried to find it in this thread but it can be hard to catch up with these long threads.

-Brian

lab-dad

Thanks everyone!
Marc,
What are you trying to say?
At least I am in good company! ::)
Brian
Basically a Corliss is a stationary steam engine, the "Corliss" really refers to the valve arrangement. Back when developed it made the Corless engines way more efficient. There were several variations on the Corliss design.
Corliss engines were used in sawmills and cotton plants just to name a few.
They came in many sizes as well, mine has a (scale) 16' flywheel.
-Marty