• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Corliss project

Started by lab-dad, May 18, 2009, 09:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

nitpickers, both of you are just as good, as long as you use the same clamps.
   Both of you belong to this top notch mob of mad finescalers here.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

[quote

Nick, I'll never even be half as good as you, even with twice the clamps!

-Mj
[/quote]

What a load of bollocks . I wouldn't have a clue where to start a project like this . As for your Plymouth . I need say no more . All I can run to is sticking a few leaves on an old bit of sage brush and gluing a load of grass tufts to a bit of styrene . No contest really . I might have got the concrete right first time , but you got there in the end and learnt something in the process .

Nick

MrBrownstone

Hey Guy's,

I do believe Marty you could have not said it any better than when you opened this thread...
"Marty with very first post"

Funny what inspires me.
I have always like the Corliss engines.
Timber Times recently ran an article about them and I purchased a book too.
I also did some research on original patents through google.
Unfortunately I was not able to find plans/blueprints so I drew my own scaling the plans from photos and the few know dimensions.
I also have always wanted to build a brass model so the two seemed a natural combination.
I am by no means a machinist, but I am having fun, learning things and improving my skills.

and that kind of mind set is what keeps me here....it is a commonality that dominates this forum..
Just an observation... IMO

Birds of a feather will flock together...

Much respect to you gentlemen...

Mike

lab-dad

Mike;
Geese that guy who wrote all that dribble needs to use spell check!

Nick,
Thanks, your cheque is in the mail..
-Mj

TRAINS1941

Quote from: shropshire lad on October 05, 2009, 03:46:44 PM
[quote

Nick, I'll never even be half as good as you, even with twice the clamps!

-Mj

What a load of bollocks . I wouldn't have a clue where to start a project like this . As for your Plymouth . I need say no more . All I can run to is sticking a few leaves on an old bit of sage brush and gluing a load of grass tufts to a bit of styrene . No contest really . I might have got the concrete right first time , but you got there in the end and learnt something in the process .

Nick
[/quote]

Wow I better watch were I walk ;D

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Belg

Jerry, you better make sure your wearing your hip-waders. Man this has really turned into a love fest.

Mike, thanks for the info and I'm looking forward to the rest when you get time.

Marty, some real nice progress. Pat

MrBrownstone

Hey Pat,

:D ;D If you do the same project and it looks like that... I'll Love you too...  :D ;D :D

BTW: email me with where you are at with the player issue..

Mike

RoughboyModelworks

Much better Marty... makes all the difference.

Paul

lab-dad

Thanks gang.

Here is this weeks project; The governor.
This is a scan of the drawing in the book I have been using.

And here is mine so far;

The small "arms" are .047", the pulley is .415", and the large vertical tube is .155"
Over all height is 4 1/4" and there are about 33 pieces/parts.
Still need to do the finial and score some 6mm brass balls for the counterweights.
The pulley and governor are geared and the arms spin like the real one.
There are some screws missing from the stops too, will wait until its all finished to install those.

-Marty

RoughboyModelworks

More excellent metal work Marty... looking great. Really looking forward to seeing the completed engine...

Paul

Ray Dunakin

Looking good!

What is an "oil gag"??

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

MrBrownstone

Hey Marty,

Nice... Very Nice...  ;D

Mike

finescalerr

Marty, models of locomotives and mechanical devices seem to be what really set you apart from most other top craftsmen. I suspect your finished Corliss will be a real gem and this latest addition to it should be very eye catching. Nice work!! -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: lab-dad on October 11, 2009, 02:27:41 PM
The small "arms" are .047", the pulley is .415", and the large vertical tube is .155"
Over all height is 4 1/4" and there are about 33 pieces/parts.
Still need to do the finial and score some 6mm brass balls for the counterweights.
The pulley and governor are geared and the arms spin like the real one.
There are some screws missing from the stops too, will wait until its all finished to install those.

Metal rules!
Nice, clean looking build.

Did you use any commercial parts for this assembly? Always looking for sources of odd bits and pieces in brass.

Regards, HÃ¥vard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

TRAINS1941

-MJ

Really and excellent job of making the parts and putting this together so far.  Have to agree with Russ Loco's & Mechanical pieces seem to set you apart from the pack.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin