Westlake Publishing Forums
April 06, 2020, 07:15:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Belgian Project - Proto 87 standards  (Read 22463 times)
Dirky

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 02:54:59 PM »

Thanks once more for all the nice comments!

The plaster surface is for the same building. I wasn't there back in 1880 to find out why but most of these lookalike railway station buildings were plastered on the "road-side" and brick on the "railway-track-side". The rough surface was done with a rotating tool that threw little stones in the wet cement. I used grade 60 sandpaper to imitate that plaster.
Thanks for the German links re weathering fences. Right, I should have weathered before assembly. Anyway, I'll try to do what's possible and if not satisfactory I'll use these pcs for something else and commence all over the right way.
btw I did not use styrene but hard paper - like business cards - soaked with super glue to make it strong.
Windows are blister-package plastic foil. The woodwork imitation is made using paper tape.

I enjoy making all the little stuff very much but if I had more available space, the 0 scale would please me more. Glad I found this forum! you guys do amazing things!!! And that is great help!

thx

Dirk
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 02:29:24 PM »

That station looks great so far! Very nice work, especially carving all those bricks.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakinís World
Frederic Testard

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 03:15:18 PM »

Your walls and fences are really impressive, Dirky. I've been thinking for years to build an old french farm using this PVC-foam, and have always found some american-based model to do first. The results are excellent, and provide an incentive to try my hand on such a build.
Thank you for the links, Marc.

Frederic Testard
Dirky

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 03:28:44 AM »

Finally one door...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:51:59 AM by Dirky » Logged
Ken Hamilton

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2009, 01:37:39 PM »

Time invested in making the proper carving tools was well spent, Dirky. 
Great job!  That wall is superb.

Dirky

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »

Did another one...

scale H0 is rather small so adding more detail is almost impossible. But I'm satisfied. Looking at it without magnifying glasses gives a satisfactory result.

Up to the next one...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:54:04 AM by Dirky » Logged
jacq01

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »

Dirk,

this is how I remember belgian facades  when staying in Flanders.  Very well balanced details, maybe the nail holes too heavy, with good coloring
  I understood this is all part of a modular layout, do you have plans to go to exhibitions ?

Jacq

PS I noticed most pictures are deleted, I hope you still have them and are able to repost them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 03:31:32 PM by jacq01 » Logged

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.
Dirky

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »

Too early Jacq to know where I'm going... Sure hope to present my Nederbrakel Project one day next to yours!
Next to building facades now, I try out all kinds of techniques and re-organise my workshop for this new old hobby! Let's say, out of 10 hours only 10 minutes add material to the project to come! This will change over time (I hope)!

Regarding the nail holes I can only say that indeed they are too big but with the eye one can hardly see them. Macro-pictures show too many details.

Reposted some pictures... will do more later!

Dirky
Dirky

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 05:52:15 AM »

the next one started... carved brick fassade
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:55:44 AM by Dirky » Logged
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 02:26:35 AM »

You appear to be a master of all media. -- Russ
Dirky

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 03:02:10 PM »

thanks for the compliment Russ...

I restarted building models only about a year ago after some 30 years of silence.  Forums like this one here are pushing me to the limit to explore all branches in today's modelling. In the H0 world I really dislike the mentality of big, much and expensive which mostly results in poor quality scenery.

In this past year I really did not finish a single piece but jump from one technique to another to try out everything I want to see on my future track. I do hope to get some stuff rolling by the end of next year... and at a quality that fits in this forum!

So thanks to everyone for showing  all the masterpieces and sharing the techniques!
MrBrownstone
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »

I could not have said it better myself...

Quote: Dirky : "Forums like this one here are pushing me to the limit to explore all branches in today's modelling".

If your looking for Idea's, Technique's, concept's and honest views and comments in one place "YOU HAVE FOUND IT"

Thanks for sharing your works with Us.

Mike
Dirky

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 03:17:40 PM »

Had to spray a primer to better see the spots that need special attention. Experimented to add the rivet-rows on the bottom of the tanks and the cabine but I'm not pleased with the results. With the eye it's not that bad but on the macro-shots... hmmm!
Anyone an idea how to simulate strips with rivets? Only 0.8mm wide, rivetspacing something like 0.6mm, heads 0,25... strip not thicker than 0.2mm.

the real thing...

thanks,

Dirky
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:59:16 AM by Dirky » Logged
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2009, 02:39:11 AM »

Are you aware of the resin rivets you can apply as a decal? Maybe there are some of the right size for your model. -- Russ
Dirky

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2009, 02:55:00 AM »

No, I was not aware... Huh

Found a nearby store in the meantime that sells Archer transfers... gonna take a look there.

thanks!

Dirky
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: