• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Chipped/Flaking Paint Using Crackle Medium

Started by marc_reusser, February 03, 2009, 11:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

This might be something one could use on wood, too, right? It might be kind of a Chuck Doan2 approach. -- Russ

michael mott

Marc thanks for the link, very interesting work I think I will have to give that a try myself. Just the thing for a rusting old Porter air loco.

regards Michael

marc_reusser

Russ,

I don't know about it working on wood. One 'wood' need to experiment, but I think it would have problems, unless the wood already had a coat/layer of paint or such, as there is a good chance that the wood would absorb most of the medium, thus rendering it ineffective. There is also the possible issue of the wood at the model scale being more "elastic" than a plastic surface...thus it would not allow the medium to react (shrink) like it needs to. [a crackle medium generally works by shrinking more/differently than the paint that is applied over it...thus causing the cracking].

Marc

M-Works

lab-dad

I have tried it on wood and like Marc suggested, it does not work as effectively as on a less porous material.
Sealing the wood wood help.
-Marty

jacq01

This is a technique already used in the 19yh century by artists to " romanticise" paintings or objects.
Goolge for "crackle medium ( weathered) " and it gives many sites with tips and hints on use with various undergrounds.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Was browsing through the web, and came across this on a German forum.....the idea is not original....I think it is the method Marcel Ackel employs.....but the results that were achieved by this modeler are not bad.

The original item:

This was then stained with an Oak stain (being on a EU forum it was likely water based stain). The entire piece was then covered with masking fluid (brush applied)

The whole thing was then brush painted with white "emulsion paint"? (Dispersionsfarbe).....and then peeled using masking tape.

....I am assuming the scale on this was 1/35, or larger.

M

M-Works

finescalerr

A variant of the "gum arabic" (rather than rubber cement) technique? -- Russ

marc_reusser

Quote from: finescalerr on October 19, 2009, 12:19:47 PM
A variant of the "gum arabic" (rather than rubber cement) technique? -- Russ

Yes, in a basic sense (since the Gum Arabic wont work on wood due to absorption).

M

M-Works

hguent2003

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 20, 2009, 03:12:26 PM

Yes, in a basic sense (since the Gum Arabic wont work on wood due to absorption).

M

Marc,

may be I got it wrong but as far as I know Marcel is using Gum Arabicum when he weathers wood. He is only using watercolors to stain the wood prior to use the Gum Arabicum as a barrier layer.

Harald

marc_reusser

Harald,

You are correct...I was mistaken...I was sure he used the masking solution, but I found his fence thread on Modellboard.de, and he notes he used Gum Arabic.

A photo of Marcels fence for those interested:

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

HA...I knew I was not going completely senile  ;)...apparently he uses the masking solution as well.

Here is a photo from one of his SBS threads:

...here is the link to the thread:
http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=22388.0

M

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

I know that crackel medium works on wood becasue "toll" painters use the stuff. There needs to be a coat of sealer and paint on the wood, then the medium, and then a second coat of paint, the medium works like gum Arabic in that its dis-simular paint. Then toll painters put a glaze over the crackled finish and then seal it. I have tried to get very small, or scale cracks, but so far I have been unsucessful    :-\ I will be trying a new method, or mix of methods on my new project, i will share my results.
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

darrylhuffman

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.