• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

CAD anomaly

Started by Peter_T1958, December 06, 2021, 06:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_T1958

Quote from: WP Rayner on December 15, 2021, 06:11:39 AM
Have you updated Corelcad or added a plug-in of some sort to it

No, I didn't make any changes, as I am not so familiar with that complex matter. Meanwhile I have checked some further files. Most of them with more then one rounding or chamfer are unusably now  :'(
Here another example (and not a complex one):

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

EZnKY

Have you recently changed any preferences in the software?
Some programs have a setting for the number of facets on curves, and changing that can affect objects that are already modeled.
Other programs describe the setting as "smoothness" or a similar term. 
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

WP Rayner

What platform are you using Peter, MAC or PC? Has there been a major update or change in your operating system since you completed the original drawings? For example: perhaps you are using PC and the original drawings were completed under Windows 10, but you are now running Windows 11. Has there been an update or change to your graphics card or its driver? Any of these changes hold the potential of causing compatibility issues with the CAD software, particularly a major system upgrade. A possible solution would be to do a complete uninstall of Corelcad, reboot, then do a clean reinstall.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Peter_T1958

Quote from: WP Rayner on December 16, 2021, 07:56:14 AM
A possible solution would be to do a complete uninstall of Corelcad, reboot, then do a clean reinstall.

You seem to be right! And there are signs of movement in this matter. Today I received some informations from the Corel support team. I have to do some modifications deep in the bowels of my program. I do not know, if I a able to do that properly, but at least it is a glimmer of hope !
However, I wonder now how this could happen... ???

Thank you very much and I will inform here if the miracle has taken place ::)

Peter_T1958

I'm on the verge of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I just opened a support ticket at CorelDraw and after two weeks email exchange (Huh !) the problem could be detected. It's a program error that will be eliminated in future versions of CorelCad ( ;D )
At the moment it can be avoided in saving the files in an older file format – as simple as that.

It should be mentioned that all «older» files remain unusable now... :-[

finescalerr

Maybe you need a different, more reliable, CAD program ...? -- Russ

Design-HSB

I was about to make the decision to purchase Corel CAD.  When I read this I'm glad I didn't.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

WP Rayner

Unfortunately the development of CAD, 3D modelling, imaging, video, and design applications are driven by major software companies such as Autodesk, Dassault, Siemens, Nemetschek, Maxon, and Adobe. Their products define and drive the industries and if you want to produce professional level work or need to interface with other industry-related services, you have little choice but to bite the bullet and purchase one of their products. Fortunately for imaging, video, and design needs, there are alternates available, i.e. Affinity Photo, which work very well at far less cost, driven of course by a large public demand for more affordable applications in those disciplines. However, there is not a large public demand for CAD or 3D modelling applications, CAD especially, so the big players continue to control the field. Corel products try to fill the lower cost need, but are universally shunned by the profession. For CAD there is always SketchUp, which has a free version. The Pro version requires an annual subscription but is much more affordable than anything by the major producers. There is a lot of good work that has been done with SketchUp and it plays well with pro-level products. For 3D modelling, Blender is an excellent open-source alternative, but it's not a 3D CAD application. It's a no-cost alternative to 3ds Max, Maya, Cinema 4D and so on, and it holds its own in the industry. A lot of excellent work has been done in Blender. I suspect there are other low-cost 3D CAD apps available, perhaps some of the other modellers here will have suggestions for other alternates.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Peter_T1958

Tank you very much for your thoughts!!! Sure you're right, and I should look for an alternative. But maybe I have to explain why I chose CorelCad.
The main reason was that I believed I could easily switch from CoreDraw to CorelCad. It wasn't so! Furthermore, because there was no handbook provided I had (and still have) to self-study steps by step with the help of tutorial from other programs. Then I try to adapt them.
Secondly, I was able to purchase the CoreCad education edition for around € 90, because I was still working as a teacher at the time.
To be honest, I can't afford a more expensive program right now, and I really would not like to change to a completely new software where I have to start from scratch again. So, I have to continue with CorelCad in the full knowledge, that there would be better programs (even free ones) around.

What I don't understand is: There is a program error and up to this day, nobody realizes this. Seems, that I am the only one on earth working with CorelCad  :-\

Design-HSB

Hi Peter,

I know about at least 2 other model builders who work with Corel CAD and how you came to it via the Education Edition. Unfortunately I do not have the possibility to purchase Education Edition versions. That's why I'm also looking for a free CAD software version.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

Paul suggested SketchUp. Several past and some present forum members use it. I have fooled around with the free online version and it seems to work about as well as the free program they used to offer and did everything I need a 3-D CAD program to do. At the moment they offer the free version to hobbyists and only charge the professionals. It's not very hard to learn so maybe you should try it out. -- Russ

WP Rayner

I completely understand your reasoning Peter. Hopefully the developers will be able to correct the flaw in the software. Not being able to work with older files is a major drawback, can't understand their reasoning on that.

Concerning a handbook, I don't know of any CAD or 3D modelling program that comes with a handbook. Their instructional resources tend to be web-based and designed to obfuscate rather than educate. After over seventeen years of working with 3D CAD and modelling programs I can count on one hand the number of times I've found the answer I'm seeking in the program's online documentation. I find independent tutorials to be a much better resource and much quicker to find an answer to whatever problem I've encountered. The tutorials are written for users by users, not developers.
Paul

Bernhard

I also started my 3D design career with SketchUp. The operation is quite intuitive and relatively quick to learn. However, I quickly realized that this program was originally developed not for technical, but for architectural projects. Moreover, it is not possible to create a 2D manufacturing drawing from a 3D model. Furthermore, it is difficult or impossible to create files for 3D printing.
I have therefore switched to Onshape. This is a free, cloud-based solution. Disadvantage: in the free version all documents are public. The operation is not that easy, but there is a good online help and many tutorials. So far I am very happy with the choice. In my current project, the Hulett Ore Unloader, which has really complex and extensive assemblies, I have not yet found any weaknesses.

Bernhard

Peter_T1958

Quote from: WP Rayner on January 12, 2022, 12:16:14 PM
Concerning a handbook, I don't know of any CAD or 3D modelling program that comes with a handbook.
I find independent tutorials to be a much better resource and much quicker to find an answer to whatever problem I've encountered. The tutorials are written for users by users, not developers.

It's amazing, even in this modelers forum I get more help and tips then from the company's support. Obviously there are other experts here as well  ;)
Paul, I'm glad to read here, that I am not the only one without handbook. Then I will have to learn by tutorials, although until now I haven't found so much about CorelCad. At least thanks to a tutorial I was able to generate some letters on an curved surface yesterday. That's already a success... ;D

WP Rayner

Good job on the lettering Peter. That's always a challenge especially when applying curved lines of text onto a radiused surface.
Paul