• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

I need a new camera!

Started by Hauk, November 11, 2021, 11:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

I thought that my new iPhone 12 could replace my need for a proper camera but I  am starting to realise that this unfortunately aint so.

First, the fixed aperture gives a pathetic depth of field that make focus stacking an absolute necessity

This image of my dear universal miller requiered 20 exposures to get a depth of field going from the front handwheel to the back of the machine.

And stitching the images in Photoshop leaves a lot to be desired also.

The closest focus distance is a 2-3 inches, wich is not very impressing.

So I am looking for a digital compact with at least this functions:

1. Normal to slight wide-angel image field.
2. Close-up down to under an inch
3. A really small f-stop
4. Manual exposure time and f-stop

Suggestions?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

I have no specific camera to suggest; only that you may have to use a 35mm SLR or mirrorless camera with a macro lens to get the results you want. Those cameras have higher resolution than iPhones and digicams so it may be possible to shoot from farther away, crop the image, and end up with a much better photo overall.

I have an iPhone XS and its camera seems to be a step down from the iPhone 7 for model photos. We're going to get new phones for Christmas so I am disappointed to hear about your experience with the iPhone 12.

Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on November 11, 2021, 12:01:04 PM
I have no specific camera to suggest; only that you may have to use a 35mm SLR or mirrorless camera with a macro lens to get the results you want. Those cameras have higher resolution than iPhones and digicams so it may be possible to shoot from farther away, crop the image, and end up with a much better photo overall.

I have an iPhone XS and its camera seems to be a step down from the iPhone 7 for model photos. We're going to get new phones for Christmas so I am disappointed to hear about your experience with the iPhone 12.

Russ

Thanks for the input, Russ!

At least the iPhone 13 has a macro function, so I think I would be happier with a 13.

But the problem with the fixed aperture is harder to get around. I would have loved an in-camera focus stacking function.

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Gordon Ferguson

I am no expert but on your IPhone 12 if you use portrait mode you can then alter the aperture settings ..... it's still not brilliant but a big improvement on the fixed setting
Gordon

Doane

I have been very happy using a used Lumix FZ1000 (about $450 new, $200+ used) with a Raynox Macroscope snap on lens model M-150 (about $70)
The Lumix has a tilting LCD screen which is nice while mounted on a tripod as you can tilt it up to see the image. It also has focus highlighting as you adjust the manual focus. I set it up on the tripod at the position I want and then do a series of shots from close to distance. The in screen highlighting makes it really easy to see what I am focused on. I then load all the images in Photo Shop and do focus stacking. The Raynox lens takes the place of a macro at a very reasonable price and with excellent image quality.. it snaps on and fits lens diameters from 52-67mm.
Here's a shot from about 2" to about 8" on a diorama I made. It took about 6 spaced shots before focus stacking.