• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Watery Grave

Started by marc_reusser, January 19, 2009, 12:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

Any progress ???  or are you busy painting the horse  ;D ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Gordon,
The posts look good. What are you building for the challenge?....Will you be posting an SBS thread over on MIG, or here?

http://Jacq,
Some progress...just taking a lot of work time to make it seem like anything is happening. I am not sure if I like the rail/hull height at the stern area....am thinking of cutting it down 12-18" and also doing a small platform area at the very rear to mount two bollards.

The superstructure was painted because I needed to do the interior and the inside of the hull before assembly, as those areas would be difficult or impossible to reach later....sO I decided to paint the exterior whith the leftover paint. Painted the hull because I was tired of looking at the red...and to see where I still needed to sand/patch.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Don Gage

Looks amazingly good Marc,
I agree that the bullworks above the deck should be shortened, it just looks too tall.  If this is a tug or used for similar tasks, then the lines would have issues clearing the raised portions of the metal when towing a craft or item that sits low in the water.  You might consider photoshopping the image to see what the height should be.  This could save you a lot of grief in building.
Just some thoughts,
DG

jacq01

Marc,

the forward "rail" ( bulwark )  looks very good, the rear one doesn't.  You better make it a railing with stanchions starting where the front bulwark stops and have the hull protruding 4"- 6" above deck   .  If a wave comes over the water cannot run off fast enough so it has a negative effect on the stability.    Will you add a funnel or a rudimentary exhaust at the side of the deckhouse?
I like the deckhouse and surface detailing.  This will be a very nice convincing wreck.

Jacq

PS http://Jacq, is not opening.
I am what I remember.

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 07, 2009, 01:02:07 AM
Gordon,
The posts look good. What are you building for the challenge?....Will you be posting an SBS thread over on MIG, or here?

Thanks Marc, building abandoned late 1920's pick-up (1/24) left over from the "dust bowl era". Will post details on MIG, and here if OK - not sure about a SBS as nearly ( well all!) the techniques are/will be taken from what I have learned on this  and on MIG's forum so don't think there is much I could teach or show anybody  that's new.

Anyway love the progress you are making on this project , you've certainly got the ability to turn your imagination into reality - look forward to the next report on this ( and the car cart !)  :)

Let me know if you need anymore drawings - hope what I sent was of use

Gordon
Gordon

marc_reusser

Gordon,

Project sounds cool. What kit are you using...or are you doing all scratch?

FWIW, for the Mig, you should probably post at least a start/intent posting at this point, and some degree of SBS as you go. Part of the challenge reasons and requirements is for everyone to show the techniques they use and how they implement them...regardless of if they are new or not (pretty much all the techniques are a derivative from somewhere anyhow). They want it to be an "open" camraderie and sharing challenge, to exchange and encourage, ideas and inspiration.

Thanks for the help offer...still using all the great stuff you sent me previously....a lot there...so, so far, I'm okay.

Marc

M-Works

jacq01

Is this of any help ??

Jacq
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Jacq,

Thats great. Thanks. Did you take that photo?

Along with the ones of the pilings in the Ship Graveyards, I have been using the following ones also.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Some more slow progress.

The model took a fall off the workbench on Sunday, shortly after I finished the masts.....so I spent the last few days on repairs.

Here is a view of the top of the mast and the end of the Jib(?) The mast was made using styrene tubing and rod, and drilling them out so the sections could slide into eachother.

I also re-cut/rebuilt the rear bullwark and added the hold. The rudder is the Original kit rudder that has been reshaped and detail added. The jib is completely operational, and the brass pin is only there for temporary fastening.

In the front I used the kit supplied davit with some clean-up and additional detailing added.  The capstan on the fore-deck was made using a Grandt-Line stove part, and Star washer/bolt, then turning them in the Dremel and shaping them with a Mission-models chisel & Xacto, till I achieved the desired shape.

I was originally thinking of doing a collapsed mast, but after looking at photos, and speaking with a fellow modeler that builds ships, I came to the conclusion that this was not really a common or frequent occurence. I also found I like the height that it provides the scene, and the accentuated visual of the listing of the boat.

Marc

M-Works

PuckHog

Marc,  Sorry to hear about the damage and  lost time,  your skills are humbling....Can't wait to see what you do with the jetty (that is a great photo)......Randy

marklayton

Marc -
The lowered aft bulwark look much more tug-like.
Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

jacq01

Marc,

the photo came from a local e- magazine.  It's close to where the naval architecture faculty stood.

The changes made make the model stand out very very well.  The boom ( jib) and mast are giving the boat as said
    a needed hight. It has become a boat.
    If possible chamfer the transitions in diameters of the mast and boom to simulate welded joints.
    I still mis an exhaust of the engine. A possibility is a 4" pipe (next to the rounded top of the stairwell is a good place)
    with a nice hinged flap for keeping the water out.

Do you have already rigging blocks ?   Let me know what sizes ( 8 - 10 - 12 mm )  or ( 2,5 - 6 mm ) and I'll have some send to you.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Thanks Jaqc, and thanks for the offer on the Blocks.....I think I will be OK, I was just going to have one or two at the most.....was taking your point about much of this kind of stuff being stripped from abandoned boats. I am planning on leaving the Jib laying on the gunwale, and dipping into the water, with all the rigging lines gone except for mabye one or two loose ones that sort of tangled on the mast, and drape across the deck.

Thanks for the weld tip...i will probably do the seam out of stretched sprue or milliput. I need to be careful there as the sidewalls of the tubes are only about .007" (.185 mm) thick in these areas.

There are lots of small details like rivets (+/ 200) and fasteners that I still need to add...as well as some major details like the pilit house roof, chain pipe to locker, double plating under the windlass & locker pipe, a pair of capstan/fairlead posts at in front of the capstan....and of course the exhaust. I have been playing around with two options for the exhaust, on as being a pipe that comes through the roof at the rear left of the cabin, bends across the roof and has a muffler on it, and then bends uppward at the right side of the cabin rear.....I kind of like the added detail/interest of the muffler on the roof; the other was sim to the option you suggested. My issue has been the size/dia of the exhaust pipe....as this is not a large boat I was figuring it would only be about 1-1/2" to 2" in dia....but it seems a bit "skimpy" visually....the 4" you mention sounded a bit big....but then I don't know.  When I am thinking engine size...think of a small Europen or Italian fishing boat/trawler. [I have no idea what my boat is...but not a tug and not a trawler.....I am just pretending it is some sort of multi purpose boat, work boat...or a boat used to tow small things...or maybe string bouy lines or some such thing....maybe laying net lines.]

Marc

M-Works

chester

Nice progress Marc. The finish on the cabin looks terrific and you put a lot of detail in the mast work. What will you be using for all those rivets/bolts?
   You might be surprised at the size of some of the power plants in vessels. I don't think a 3 or 4 inch exhaust is too large.