• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sandy Hollow

Started by 1-32, November 30, 2020, 05:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

Morning all .
Thank you for your comments great to hear that you like it, cheers.
Bernard, I know exactly what you are talking about models built with local knowledge are the best the members here are experts. The smells are interesting even when I am a long way away I see a picture of Australia and the smells flood back.
The location smells for this house are amazing a mixture of ginger, earth, grass, and humidity.
Hard place to live really it takes a while to get used to it.
The mine is interesting I now know its name Acland no 2 coal mine high heritage-listed regarded as the best-preserved example of a coal mine loader in Australia, is now covered by a 99-year lease. U tube has a clip on the location.
The lease was granted to a coal mining company called -New Hope Group , which agreed to preserve the building but demolished the rest of the old town to make way for an open-pit coal mine. Since the company has lost interest in the mine laid off the workforce but still has the lease . The whole deal is very strange , so what has this got to do with my model.
Research is very important and personally I love this process the location from me is about 900K away so I rely on photos the better the reference the better model. In this case, the mining company will not release interior photos or allow acess sounds like a mission to me.
All the best Kim

Les Tindall

Go for it Kim!  After the long drive up to Queensland to the mine, that torn shirt as you squeeze through the perimeter wire, the cut knees as you stumble over the rocks, the hefty trespassing fine you have to pay, all worth it in the cause of modelling research!
Les

Barney

Im with you Les - When are we going !!
Kim Just keep the atmosphere going - while Les and I do the trip
Barney 
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

You guys are so old fashioned. I borrowed Ray's drone and photographed the whole thing in 15 minutes, then sped away in my sports car before the guard could find me .... -- ssuR

1-32

The 4 favorite signs used in Australia to keep urban explorers out.
Video cameras in use really I don't take much notice rarely are they connected.
The very large kangaroo has no signs yet but if you spy one head the other way they can be mean.
The dog one of the favorite ones used around the world makes me reconsider my intent that is for sure
and the emerging favourite -snakes they are becoming really popular and is guaranteed to stop me for sure most likely there are non but is very effective.

WP Rayner

Quote from: finescalerr on December 14, 2021, 12:00:05 PM
You guys are so old fashioned. I borrowed Ray's drone and photographed the whole thing in 15 minutes, then sped away in my sports car before the guard could find me .... -- ssuR

Sheesh, you young-uns... You're supposed to use the thong-clad cuties to distract the guard.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

1-32

Quick Paul you and your friend can distract the guards while I get the evidence.

Design-HSB

I have had very good experiences with simply officially asking for permission. I show pictures of the models I have built and have never received a rejection. Even support from staff who provided me with ladders so that I could measure the role model from above.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Lawton Maner

Bill:
The propeller is attached to Maxell Smart's submersible VTOL which he uses to fight international evil.  Since it is top secret, the prop is all we will ever get to see.

1-32

Yes, it is Santas night and the launch of the James Webb in about 4 hours I really hope they don't get mixed up.
Lawton the propeller is top secrete and its true purpose will never be known, In other words, an idea that ended up in the swamp.
Sandy Hollow has moved from the kitchen bench to its shelf above the workspace the lights are to be added. The baseboard is in pieces so it can be moved to the workbench for detailing, yes it is a comfortable useful area.
My track work is coming along the loop works now to get it all working .
cheers.

Lawton Maner

Merry Christmas to all.

Kim:
     I got out of rehab from a broken hip yesterday and your work and the work of others has kept me in touch with the world for the last 3months.  Long way to go before I can be working again on my decade long project of getting one for the East Broad Top's passenger cars back on the rails. 

In keeping with the season and the "redneck" nature of the stilt house, you need to put Charlie Brown's Christmas tree on that diorama at least until 12th night.

Maybe this coming year I can get some modeling done.

finescalerr

Are those commercial switches you removed from their plastic tie strip? -- Russ

1-32

Morning ALL.
Lawton, I am very glad that you are recovering from your surgery just take it easy for a bit and build your strength back up. Yes going online has helped us all as the world goes into the 3 years of craziness staying in touch is beneficial to us all.
Morning Russ yes they are commercial turnouts I am not good at point work or mechanisms so any that I can use is greatly appreciated. Just cut out all the plastic that is not useful once they are covered in dirt nobody knows. My rail is code 100 not too fiddly and very common, gauge 16.5 very good for 1/35 scale and my sleepers are plywood with veneers added size 45 mm long,6 to 7 mm wide, and 3 mm heigh centers 20 mm but vary this you can do the conversion. The turnout timbers are different lengths just like a railway that is run on a shoestring.
Happy 2022 everybody

Bernhard

Well done, Kim. With the matching sleepers and the Untergrund it's hard to tell that these are commercial turnouts. Self-build is indeed, as I know from my own experience, not quite easy.

Bernhard

1-32

Hi, Bernard yes I agree.
The secrete to large scale in a small space is the turnouts.
With narrow gauge and I am talking of 600 mm or 2 foot and under there are a few different styles.
1- 13 foot 3 inches.
2-37 feet.
3 -65 feet.
I aim for the 37-foot radiuses general purpose it has just worked out like that and the commercial turnouts work well.
With your engines, I feel they are more industrial love this style with very tight radiuses in tight spaces between buildings maybe 13 foot 3 inches
In the past, I have tried to get tight radiuses similar to those made by Robert Hudson there are European makers also especially in Germany. But so far I have settled on what I can buy easily don't ask me to make anything like these I just lose interest.MY technique works and looks great in narrow gauge.
One of the members of this group Volker is a master on a  very large scale one of the best, in fact, unbelievable and it all works.
cheers