• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35th TACL rail tractor

Started by Bernhard, May 27, 2020, 01:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Let's continue with the running gear of the rail tractor.

Bernhard

The wheel bearings of the prototype are cast.
(Photo by Ben V.)

Bernhard

Since I can't mill the form this way, I make the wheel bearings from two parts, which are soldered together.
As always with such parts, I first mill a profile with the appropriate cross-section.

Bernhard

Then the hole for the axle is drilled ...

Bernhard

... and finally the wheel bearing is cut off with the circular saw blade like a sausage slice.

Bernhard

The four complete wheel bearings are then assembled from the individual parts.

Bernhard

The wheel bearings can slide in the guides just like the prototype.

Bernhard

In my leftover box I found suitable springs and shortened them to the right length. The ends are grinded, then I made them glowing with the soldering torch and put them cleanly on the last coil.

Bernhard

Now, with the help of a jig, the three axles are mounted on the frame at the correct distance and exactly parallel to each other.

Bernhard

And then the vehicle stands on its own wheels for the first time.

Bernhard

The rail tractor has an interesting drive concept:
Two chains lead from the rear axle of the Fordson to an intermediate shaft. From there the drive is transmitted to the rear axle either via two sprockets or via a chain. A clutch can thus be used to switch from forward to reverse drive.
The rear axle then drives the front axle via another chain.

Bernhard

Unfortunately, there are no working scale roller chains for 1:35th scale. Therefore I had the chains etched. Three plates per chain are glued together.

Bernhard

The hubs of the sprockets are mounted as separate turned parts.

Bernhard

And this is what the finished drive looks like from below.

Bernhard

The chain guard boxes are still missing. For weight reasons, these are not made of brass, but of plastic.
The outer form is milled on the rotary table.

Bernhard