• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Have I got it right

Started by Barney, April 25, 2020, 09:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Have the early Petrol Pumps a hand pump handle on the side which is used to pump the fuel up to the Glass Cylinder at the top to the required amount of gallons- then the nozzle is then used to release the fuel
Barney
in need of help

NORCALLOGGER

Barney

Thanks  - now I know I can get on and build one in 1/35th
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

NORCALLOGGER

Interesting project, how are you going to build the illuminated glass brand globe on top? 

greenie

With a bit of thought, just about anything is possible.

You could use a piece of thick sheet Acrylic and machine it to shape, then add a decal over that and you will have a remarkably good replica of it.
Now to illuminate it, easy as, if you use a clear LED inserted up the underneath of it, when switched on it would illuminate it extremely well.

Round site Glass for the fuel, another bit of Acrylic turned to shape once again.

Good $hit this Acrylic, even better when it's free by doing a bit of dumpster diving, at your local sign makers establishment.

Barney

First Im starting with a later type 1920/30s  photos soon - electric pump made and fuel pump finished - waiting for Evergreen angle for frame
the early version with hand pump with the illuminated sign I thought the same Acrylic Rod.
Barney
Stuart McPherson

NORCALLOGGER

Getting the wires down through the glass area could be interesting, perhaps run them down the bracket that has the gallon indicator float would hide them enough. Or actually use a couple of the stay rods as conductors, depending of course on what material your building with.

Rick

greenie

Barney, please be very carefull of using Acrylic ROD, it does not machine anywhere near as good as Acrylic SHEET.

The Acrylic ROD is very soft and the Acrylic swarf tends to melt onto the tooltip and then destroys the job at hand.
The Acrylic SHEET is made from something different to the rod and it machines extremely well.
There is NO Acrylic melting onto the tooltip at all when using the sheet stuff, just clean ribbons of swarf coming from the tooltip.
Dwell too long with the tooltip onto the Sheet Acrylic and you'll get the same result as if you used the Acrylic ROD.

I just cut it with the bandsaw, which has a blade for wood, then into the lathe and very soon I have turned it into a rod, then do whatever I want with it.

The ROD should be delegated to the rubbish bin, just use the thickest sheet Acrylic you can find when dumpster diving.   :-)

Barney

Yes I know what you mean but I have learned to cope with it - if you look at many of my projects I have always used Acrylic Rod - My Acrylic "Man"
give me a 1hour lecture on the Physics (if thats the word I want) basically there different grades of rod & sheet used for many different areas
I always thought Perspex was different but its just another trade name
Basically "the man" said give it room to breath or expand and keep it cool and take time - I think he knows his stuff his company made the "drivers"windows  and instrument panels for Concord "The British one"
Barney     
But Thanks for the advice lets hope others read it and be safe !
Stuart McPherson

5thwheel

I have had good results turning the acrylic rods.  This cylinder on the clown platform is turned from 5/8" clear rod. It is turned to a wall thickness of 1/32"  The thing is to not have too much tool cutting the acrylic. I grind my tools like I would grind them flat on top as for brass only slightly round off the tip. I polished it with first of all with very find wet or dry paper (wet). Then finished it with rubbing compounds. I found that is is better to turn the whole tube leaving it on the rod including boring it out. After it is finished then part it off.

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Bill Gill

Barney, Dave Krakow (VectorCut) had a newer style illuminated gas pump globe.
He isn't producing his terrific laser cut kits anymore, but maybe if you email him you can get info on how he did his.

Chuck Doan

Interesting project, and some good info!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/