• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

recent modelling from KIM

Started by 1-32, March 25, 2020, 05:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

Hi all moving along I hope everybody is staying safe crazy times.
My lockdown challenge is moving along the wooden deck is laid and the airbrush has been bought out to give the paddlewheel a nice shade of red, Next the engine room will be assembled and painted this will be a drop in unit cheers

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Looks good, Kim, nice hull, good red on the paddlewheel.

finescalerr

What will you use to hide the bow joint? Many of us can learn a lot from you when it comes to boats. -- Russ

1-32

hi all.
How many of us use an airbrush most likely, Chuck and Volker I also really like it generally I find it painful but when it all lines up great my paddle wheel was airbrushed maybe the whole boat will be airbrushed we will see.?
Russ yes the bow joint I will cover it with a piece of styrene that will be fashioned to look like a metal reinforcing strip to protect the wooden hull. I use the same idea on all my overlapping joints usually with rivets. You can't really fill these sorts of joints as the filler always cracks.
cheers

Barney

Very nice - another inspiring model
Barney

1-32

Happy Easter everybody.
very quiet I suppose it is the same everywhere.
Here is another little piece of the assembled engine this will most likely change a little with the addition of hangers and other bits and pieces also the tops of the valves on the steam lines will disappear into the floor above.
The most recent example of really good machinery painting was Robert G and his sawmill but hey there are so many good painters my efforts are adequate and the weathering usually takes 1 hour. My process is undercoat top coat all water-based washers for the weathering and a bit of airbrushing.
cheers.

Bill Gill

Happy easter, Kim. Nice weathering.
I have a small model of a pulling boat, useable for HO scale, that I want to someday
add a tiny steam engine and boiler to commemorate the full size steam launch
my son once started to build. He got a used refrigeration compressor and plans for
converting it to a steam engine and experimented with various ways to build a boiler.
He had it running on compressed air before going on to do other things, I want to build
a model capturing the spirit of his efforts. Your project here dmontrates it can be omething
that looks good, but also is fun.

finescalerr

Nice job. Hope you had a good birthday. -- Russ

1-32

Hi Bill how big is your son's boat sound like a great project?
Russ my birthday was crap this virus pandemic has put everybody into a spin nobody visits anymore no more cool presents and to make it worse I was not supposed to be here in Sydney. I really don't know how the world is going to recover economically. One argument is to sacrifice the baby boomers to take care of another younger generation the other is to preserve all and fight  I would prefer to fight.
cheers

Ray Dunakin

The boiler and engines look great. Very interesting and unique.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Rail and Tie

I am really digging your build Kim!  It inspired me to start a long planned project of an O scale version of the CR LAMB.  Thanks for getting me off my butt and get this going. I just want to turn some of those valves on your boiler and get the steam up!!
Cheers!
Darryl

"Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

http://www.interactionhobbies.com
http://www.facebook.com/railandtie

Bill Gill

Hi Bill how big is your son's boat sound like a great project? Kim

Kim, It was going to be between 16-18 ft. Alas it has been shelved to make room for RR photography at night, a modular layout, fixing up acouple apartments and more.
The steam engine he was working on was estimated to be able to produce about 3 hp. My model will commemorate the effort that went into th project, starting with no background in
either steam power or boat building, but learning very quickly along the way.

1-32

Hi, all welcome Mr. Tie.
Moving along my no 3 blade has been getting a bit of a workout of late. You can see the shape of the finished boat now for all the details maybe a detailed wheelhouse we will see.
cheers.

Carlo

Kim -
I'm enjoying your photos and description of this build.
It's inspiring, and delightful.
Carlo