Westlake Publishing Forums
February 17, 2020, 07:42:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NEB&W progress at new location  (Read 301 times)
Bill Gill

« on: January 29, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »

Rensselaer just posted an update about the NEB&W:
https://news.rpi.edu/content/2020/01/29/rensselaer-model-railroad-society-moves-new-home-hoosick-street
Chuck Doan
Mr. Wizard

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 12:22:12 AM »

Yay!

“They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details.” -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 12:41:05 AM »

I'm glad they found a new home for it!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin’s World
SandiaPaul

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 05:00:50 AM »

Thanks for the update!

Paul
Hauk

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 09:44:45 AM »

Its incredible how much effort and resources they are willing to spend on this layout!
I read somewhere that John Nerich is employed full time for working on the layout and organizing the students union that is dedicated to the layout.

Been a great fan of this layout since I first read about it in MR in the early eighties.

Regards, Hauk
--
”Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them”  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 01:34:57 PM »

I am surprised the layout finally has found an appropriate home because so few people place any value at all on model trains ... or "train sets" as so many ignorant, tasteless nincompoops call them. -- Russ
Bill Gill

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 03:43:23 PM »

Thank you, everyone, for your interest. Hauk's & Russ's surprise at the layout being preserved has merit. There was a big effort by the club to generate public interest in saving it. The layout had been well known among model railroaders for several decades, but it also had a fair amount of local interest among those who had visited it when open house tours  and they hoped to see it again. RPI recognized that the layout was more than the typical 'toy train display'.

There's much to be worked out yet about transporting, assembling and expanding the layout and making it more open to the public. I hope to hear more as the plans are put into action.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: