• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Spares or repairs

Started by Barney, January 26, 2020, 10:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Satisfactory. Now let's see how it looks after you paint it. -- Russ

Bernhard

I love it, especially the corrosion look. I am curious about the paint job.

Barney

Corrosion of plastic - some of the flatter parts is just a 5 thou layer of plastic card  distressed with a knife blade plenty of pocking and scraping then finish of with some 400grit wet & dry sheets then glue to the side /flat panels stippling the adhesive  to create metal laminating - the more solid panels is just lightly bounce a ball end tool over it using a Dremell type drill on a slow speed - some of it needs going over again to get it more in clusters rather than just isolated dents the undercoat of rust colour will show this up so A few more minutes work is required.
Barney
some photos to follow

Barney

first rust undercoat and it shows some un-natrule "dings and scraps" especially were you can see 3 or 4 "dings " in a row so its back to attack with the dremel ball and a bit more sanding to thin the rust layer down then a bit more rust undercoat

Barney

the middle top pipe into the boiler needs a bit more texture to simulate rust and bits of asbestos lagging

Barney

the  Dremel ball tool just let bounce across the surface on a slow speed 
Barney

finescalerr

Until you posted the photos and description I thought you had developed a new technique: Modeling with cottage cheese! -- ssuR

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

A Few shots - I think the amount of corrosion / rust is to heavy and the whole engine needs burying/covering in years more of junk
still I might get it right one day !!!
Barney

Barney

the other side

Barney

the end

Barney

the other end

finescalerr

It looks outstanding from every angle. Satisfactory. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

One small nit to pick: it seems like the heavily corroded areas are almost the same color as the rest. Perhaps a bit more rust color would be appropriate in those areas?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World