• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Is every one OK in the California states

Started by Barney, October 27, 2019, 07:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Hi Russ and all others in California - keep seeing fires again in the California state on our National news reports in the UK is it  effecting most areas or is it isolated  did it ever recover from the last lot - one resident said there is not much left to burn !
Thinking of you all
Barney

finescalerr

So far, so good here in Westlake Village (about 45 northwest of downtown Los Angeles). In the past ten days the greater Los Angeles area has had about ten fires, two bad enough to wipe out homes and, coincidentally, they always break out shortly after the Santa Ana winds kick up, the weather forecast warns us to be careful, and the power companies threaten to shut off electricity. To me, that suggests arson. The biggest fires are in the wine country north of San Francisco. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

We're fine here in San Diego. There were a couple fires in the county two days ago but they were both under control fairly quickly. Only destroyed three small outbuildings.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

nk

I was supposed to be at the Getty all last week in Los Angeles. As it turned out the meeting were moved to Beverly Hills, the museum was safe but a lot of the grounds were scorched. Its a terrible business.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

finescalerr

I hope the fires are over for this year. It was on November 8 of last year when I had to grab my cats and clarinets and seek refuge 50 miles away, near Pasadena, for four days. What fun. -- Russ

1-32

Hi everybody.
Please spare a thought for the East Coast of Australia.
We are not yet into summer but already the fires have been terrible but tomorrow Tuesday 11 November will be something else.
For the first time, a state of Catrosephy has been proclaimed. Schools closed evacuations a state of emergency for 7 days this is the first time this has happened and we are used to wildfires.80 to 100 K, hot dry winds are coming producing their own weather systems.
Advice get out while you can it is going to be terrible but we are the best in the world dealing with these fires.

Greg Hile

Northern California had another large fire in roughly the same area as the wine country fires of a couple years ago, but it is now contained. My daughter there and the school she teaches at was closed for a week, along with many others, but more due to smoke and unhealthy air than fire danger. We're largely back to normal now.

Kim, so sorry to hear of your situation. I know it's been a roughly couple of weeks for you. Hang in there, my friend!

Greg