• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35 Bucket chain excavator Ertmer KB 1

Started by Bernhard, October 27, 2019, 03:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Quote from: finescalerr on January 19, 2020, 01:14:11 PM
I am so impressed, not only with this latest assembly but with the entire model so far, that I have no idea what to say. -- Russ

Now that's saying something!!  ;)

Looks beautiful.. Excellent workmanship.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Barney

Lovely construction work - excellent in all ways
Barney

Bernhard

In between some good news: 15 months (!) after ordering I finally got the buckets! I am very pleased, but see for yourself.
And out of which material did the caster cast them now? From 925 silver!
His explanation: because of the low wall thickness of 0.2 mm the liquid metal solidifies very fast, before it can fill the whole mould. He was therefore forced to cast the parts on a precious metal casting machine where temperatures of up to 1'200 °C are reached.
Fortunately, the change of material has no major impact on the price. Only CHF 9 more on the whole order, but the parts are very light.
Quality and dimensional accuracy are impeccable. I only have to adjust the parts a little bit after the sprues have been cut off.
Now I'm waiting for the laser-cut chain plates, then nothing more stands in the way of completion

Bernhard

Hauk

Quote from: Bernhard on January 30, 2020, 02:14:04 AM
In between some good news: 15 months (!) after ordering I finally got the buckets! I am very pleased, but see for yourself.
His explanation: because of the low wall thickness of 0.2 mm the liquid metal solidifies very fast, before it can fill the whole mould. He was therefore forced to cast the parts on a precious metal casting machine where temperatures of up to 1'200 °C are reached.
Fortunately, the change of material has no major impact on the price. Only CHF 9 more on the whole order, but the parts are very light.
Quality and dimensional accuracy are impeccable. I only have to adjust the parts a little bit after the sprues have been cut off.
Now I'm waiting for the laser-cut chain plates, then nothing more stands in the way of completion

Bernhard

Insane! But the parts look great. How much in total did the parts set you back?

And how does paint adhere to silver?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bernhard

Hi Hauk
For 21 buckets I finally paid CHF 340. That seems a lot in the first moment. But if you consider the work and the quality, the unit price is certainly justified. And exactly with these parts I did not want to save money. Bungled parts would definitely not fit to the excavator.
I don't want to paint the buckets because the paint is rubbed or scratched during operation. I first see if the silver tarnishes naturally. If necessary I try to chemically blacken it.
Bernhard

finescalerr

I think the parts are worth the price. Anything less might spoil the model. After all, if you were to place a value on the quality of your work and the time you have invested, the buckets would be inexpensive by comparison. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

There are a number of chemical blackening agents which can be used to color the silver.  Check with a company which specializes in supplying materials for the trade and for hobbyists who manufacture custom jewelry.

Design-HSB

Hello Bernhard,

please look here there is something to brown for silver.

Just great what you're doing.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Quote from: Bernhard on January 30, 2020, 02:14:04 AM

Bernhard

Outstanding. I've heard of tiny handles and so on being cast in silver for it's higher flowability. But this is just amazing. Congrats!
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

1-32

I will definitely go along with the tone of all the comments.
cheers

Bernhard

Thanks for your interest and your advices.

But let's continue now with the middle section of the bucket ladder.

Bernhard

The procedure is basically the same as for the upper part.

Bernhard

Once again, a jig is milled into a Pertinax plate...

Bernhard

... the necessary parts for the two side frames are prepared, ...