• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Gerd is building a Shay

Started by Waldbahner, December 15, 2008, 11:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Gorgeous machine work. --  Russ

RoughboyModelworks

Gerd:

I second Russ' comment - gorgeous machine work. Thanks for posting the progress shots.

Paul

Waldbahner

Thank you very much. Here's a new picture, showing both trucks assembled. Now I've to wait for new material to continue.

Bye, Gerd

Waldbahner

Well, I've done only small progress the last days while I'm still waiting for the delivery of the ordered parts and material :-(

So I spend most of the time on creating the universal joints from round steel. The work great and I hope they will do this for a long time ;-)

Cheers, Gerd

finescalerr

I have never had the opportunity to see a machined model come together. Awesome. -- Russ

Waldbahner

Hi Russ,

I can tell you that it's a lot of fun, building a model this way and in this large scale. You'll get a feeling for what that guys in the locomotive works has done many years ago. Building a steam locomotive from typical stock material is also a great experience.
At last, I'm coming to that point, where the only the trucks weights over 20 lbs (10kg) each and the frame will add 20 lbs more. So at this point, you can't turn the loco to the side or even on top to work on the under side or just carry them to another workbench. Finally as it's a live steam loco, you are creating a little engine that will come to live one day as the prototype and that makes it mode interesting.

Bye, Gerd

michael mott

Gerd, great job on the universal joint, any chance of a picture of the joint showing the way you constructed it.

regards Michael

Waldbahner

Yes Michael ;-)

Take a look on this page. I think most of your questions will be answered here => http://www.gerds-modellbahn.de/shay/Trucks/DriveShaft/Drive_e.htm

Bye, Gerd

michael mott

Gerd, thanks for the link, it suprised me when the shaft sped up un the You tube clip! You probably dont want to do that too much without some grease to lubricate them though.

Cheers Michael

marc_reusser

BOAH!...das ist den Hammer!

Thanks for posting all this.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

danpickard

Gerd,
I think I have realised what it is I am enjoying the most about this thread.  Its the subtle way I am learning some of the finer details of how the shay properly works.  Have got time to study each element of its mechanism as it grows from the ground up.  Easier to learn this way rather than being distracted by all the elements at once as in a completed model or scale drawings.  Great machine work as stated by the other guys, and I will continue to enjoy your progress and keep learning.

Cheers,
Dan

LLOYD

Waooo!

Great machine work, clean and accurate !
when I see your work that me recall of good memories, in 1980 my father with some friends built a half size SHAY on in 70 centimeters gauge for a French tourist train.
Probably the only one Shay run in Europe!
I go to search a good photo!
Sincerely!

Lloyd

Waldbahner

Hi Lloyd,

there have been two real Shays in Europe before ;-)

One was used in Briston UK and was a std gauge Class B. This loco has been scrapped.

The second one and much more interesting was a Class A with straight boiler for 30" gauge, shipped to Austria !!!

This little Shay was ordered from Krauss & Co. , an european locomotive manufacturer and he planed to sell Shays to european customers in contract with LIMA.

In 1912, Lima Ohio build the Shay with shop number #2504 and shipped them to Austria. The loco was test run on the Salzkammergut Lokalbahn in late 1912. But the design of the Shay and the low speed wasn't interesting enough for european railroads so the loco was stored unsold for some years.

In 1917, the loco was then transfered to Turda in Romania and was used on a cement works railroad line. But the loco was last seen in late 1918 and from this date, she's belived to be scrapped. Many railroad fans researched for remains of #2504 but without any success. There is also no single photo of this Shay avaiable online.

So what's left ?

1. The entries in the builder lists from Lima Ohio, showing the customer who bought #2504 in 1912 => Krauss & Co. Austria
http://www.shaylocomotives.com/data/lima3354/sn-2504.htm

2. Documents of the test run on the Salzkammergut-Lokalbahn
Go to Page 28 in this document. The text is in German, but you'll see a part of the Lima builders list and the document of the test run
http://www.g-spur.at/Ausgabe5/Ausgabe5_low.pdf

3. A drawing of some elevation views of Shay #2504
http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forum/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=195

Cheers, Gerd

LLOYD

thank you Gerd for this invaluable information!
Attached photographs of the shay built by my father!
It runed during two years 1985 and 1986 in tourist exploitation, I was enginer of this machine!
It was destroyed after a terrible fire in the engine house, and was not rebuilt .......

Photo is not Tip Top because aged!
And I hope not to disturb your page on the construction of your Shay!
Sincerely !

Lloyd

LLOYD

Other photo