• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35 EIMCO 401-216 "Whistling Pig"

Started by Bernhard, September 15, 2019, 07:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Hello All
Stuart McPherson (Barney) has invited me to post in this forum after seeing a small article about my EIMCO 401 compressed air trammer in the January newsletter of Lea Bailey Light Railway Society in England.
You can find the whole newsletter here:
http://www.lblr.fod.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Newsletter-January-2019.pdf

After some thought, I decided finally to share my work with you and benefit from your experiences and your feedback.
I live in Switzerland and build fine scale brass models to 1:35 scale running on 16.5 mm track.

Bernhard

The first project I will present to you is the EIMCO 401 compressed air trammer, named "Whistling Pig". I found this thing by chance on the internet, and was immediately fascinated by the noise of the air motor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXvZ8luP7js

After some research on the internet I came across the website http://www.narrowgaugechaos.com/RPC/RPC.html with many photos and a dimensioned drawing by Tim Stolle, which I used as a basis for the construction. Since the tank diameter was known (40"), I was able to scale the drawing accordingly and measure out the most important dimensions.

Bernhard

To check the proportions I quickly glued together a cardboard model and placed it on my layout. To compare on the right an Orenstein & Koppel MD2.
That fits!

Bernhard

As the next step I designed the chassis with the drive and sketched out all details.

Will be continued, after this first appetizer!

Design-HSB

Hello Bernhard, welcome and I'm curious to see how it goes.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

I look forward to the rest of the story. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Welcome to the forums, Bernhard. OK, somebody has to ask: Are you going to put a sound decoder into the finished model?

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Welcome aboard! Very nice work on the "Whistling Pig", and what an interesting subject!

Thanks for the video link -- I've seen photos of compressed air locos but never saw one in action until now.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

You do realize that "whistle pig" is a nickname for a woodchuck in some parts of the US?  A great start, I'm looking forward to your progress.

Bernhard

Thank you all for your kind welcome to the forum.

Bill,
Of course the model is equipped with a sound decoder! That cost me a lot of time and effort. But more about that later.

Bernhard

Here we go!
First of all I have to say that I copied some tricks for milling from Frithjof (fspg2), who has very interesting posts in this forum.

The Frame
An MDF board is used to clamp the two brass sheets for the frame. A precisely fitting pocket is milled into the board and the raw brass sheets are fixed into it with double-sided adhesive tape. So you don't have to worry about the alignment of the parts, and they hold immovably during milling.
You can see the milled bending grooves and the pockets for the axle bearings.
On the right the parts have to be shortened to size. In addition, the holes Ø 0.6 mm for the fastening screws of the axle bearings are still missing.

Bernhard

The frame is now soldered together from the two parts

Bernhard

Then the floor for the driver's cab is soldered in.

Bernhard

The axle bearings are made of Styrene, because they are only dummies.
The front axle bearings can be adjusted with screws to tighten the drive chain.