• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/19th scale buildings

Started by Les Tindall, July 07, 2019, 01:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Nice work. I especially like the old, busted-up doors.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

Russ:
Your idea for Nick has been used before By Edgar Allen Poe.  If you leave a small hole near the floor to slide take away boxes into the corner, he will never notice the brick wall.

Les Tindall

Update on the wall.  Apart from adding a possible nameboard above the door the front of the building is finished. The mortar was an absolute "pig" compared with the initial test part.  It may have been the matt varnish spray used to seal the bricks before adding the mortar. Anyway it all ended up far too pale.  By accident I tried a coat of dilute pva glue (goodness knows why!) and it restored the colour. The white area will probably be covered by the nameboard but represents the lime coming out of the bricks, while alongside is a section of mortarless, cracked wall to give it character (black paint finely applied between the bricks). The shrubs growing on the lefty of the door cover a rather "duff" bit of wall. Might try some bird droppings on the vent!.
Les   

Bill Gill

Les, The wall looks really good overall, including the shrubs hiding the " 'Duff' bit"
The mortarless, cracked areas look like black mortar to me rather than voids where the mortar is missing. Is there a way to dig out the mortar in those areas instead?

finescalerr

Bill's suggestion might help. The wall still looks quite good. -- Russ

Les Tindall

I think its probably the photo, the dark bits are gaps with no mortar. Like weathered walls I also hacked at some of the bricks to remove the outer layer and reveal the lighter inside part  - as these are real miniature bricks it works quite well.
Les

Les Tindall

Close up photo
Les

finescalerr

You should have showed us that one to begin with! -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Excellent! The pitted bricks really sell it.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Yes, that angle shows the missing mortar much better. The erroded bricks are great!

Les Tindall

Side wall now added, the model will be in "low relief" as a backdrop to derelict locos, wagons, etc.  The broken rendered parts are made from plaster (as per Marcel Ackle's tutorial on his website)   It is cast onto 10thou plasticard with a depth of just 0.5 mm (it makes it VERY fragile), when dry removed by turning the casting upside down and peeling back the thin plasticard.  The broken up parts are then PVA glued onto the brick wall and weathered with water-based paints and powders. The hole in the middle will be for a steam pipe from a boiler (rusty of course!) outside the wall.  I tried "cracking" the plaster but it turned out to be too well glued on. 
Les

Les Tindall

sorry the phot is sideways, you will all suffer neck ache trying to look at it!
Les

finescalerr

Upright or sideways it shows the very adequate quality of your work. -- Russ

Barney

looking good - but my neck aches -
Barney

Design-HSB

No problem you just have to put the PC or the monitor right.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal