• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The SW Woodcutter's Shack

Started by Robert G, June 10, 2019, 11:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert G

My second build. The Woodcutter's Shack from Sierra West.

Thanks for watching  ;)

shropshire lad

Robert,

There have been many excellent renditions of Sierra West kits over the years and to my mind this is one of the best . The finish on the wood sidings is very realistic and your attention to detail , like the wear on the rungs of the ladder and bird droppings ,sets it apart . But for me ,the bit that is most pleasing is that you have done the shingles properly . I am guessing that you laid each one individually , rather than use them in strips as usually the case . One of my main bugbears I have with any kit , not just Sierra West's, is that shingles are usually supplied in strips and the modeller lays the strips one row at a time . This inevitably results in having straight joints in the shingle , which looks dreadful and very often spoils a nice model .

I am looking forward to seeing more of your models in due course .

I have it in my mind that you live in France , am I right ? Though from the spelling of your name one might be forgiven for thinking that you are Dutch . Am I close ?

Nick

Robert G

Nick, Hercule Poirot and Sherlock Holmes can learn something of your deduction. I am Belgian and live most of the years in the French woods.  ;) I am glad you've noticed the details. ( the birds nest is above the drippings  ;D)

The shingles are placed individually. I had the same thoughts on them as you.  When I build a kit, I read the manual as a general guideline, but always add personal touches.
In my humble opinion, modelers can perform better if they live with their eyes open and translate what they actually see in the real world to their modeling. It's all there, just need to pay attention !!!

Soon more builds. And thanks for the compliment.

Ray Dunakin

I would never have guessed that was a kit, and in fact it took me a moment to realize it was a model!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Excellent and very nicely done - I also thought it was the real thing
Barney

TRAINS1941

I missed this one Robert.

That is some beautiful looking wood.

Shingles are most realistic I've seen.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Juke Joint

Mobilgas

Nicely Done ;D  I have one nitpick?  Why is there Gas station or auto- related signs in the model?? To me modelers use these signs in places that are so out of place and if SW had them in the kit to me that's wrong >:(
Craig

Lawton Maner

The signs could have been what the occupant of the building had lying around when he needed to patch a hole to keep the wind out.  In the American South West both the tops and bottoms of food cans were used to cover holes in walls, and once the can was cut open and flattened the body of the can was used to patch walls and roofs.

There is a building in a California State Park where the entire outside of the building is sheathed in empty, flattened black powder containers.

5thwheel

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

shropshire lad

Quote from: 5thwheel on September 10, 2019, 10:15:55 PM
All photos are gone.

Bill

Someone didn't listen to Uncle Russ . BIG mistake !

Lawton Maner

Maybe a visit to Nick's corner will help?