• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Sierra West Sawmill Project

Started by Robert G, June 09, 2019, 02:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert G

Bill Gill

Robert, Excelent model! and great photos! and you finished it all in just under a year like you thought. Great work.

Perhaps an off topic question, how much wood could that sawmill saw in a typical day?
I ask because there has been a simple mockup of a small sawmill on my layout for several
years while I dither whether at the time (~1954) and place (Vermont) a small mill of its size
might have been served only  by trucks.

I did find photos of a mill roughly the same size down South in the mid 1950s that cut enough
board feet in a day to fill two 40 ft boxcars, that would be lenty for my my tiny layout! But I don't
think the same opertion would still be workingthat way in New England then.

finescalerr

Most satisfactory in every respect.

I hope you realize you have posted links to those excellent photos instead of uploading actual images. It's only a matter of time before the links break and we're left with empty spaces where the photos used to be. You will have aggravated a lot of people ... including me ... when the links expire.

Russ

Bernhard

Robert, this is an absolutely excellent project. My respects!
Concerning the pictures I'm with Russ, although I've saved them on my hard disk for safety's sake.

Bernhard

TRAINS1941

A beautiful build one of the best I've seen of that sawmill.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Peter_T1958

Marvelous! All those details! I look at the pictures again and again and I just can't get enough of it...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Barney

Stunning stuff this And we can all see you have took your time with all the details and the way the photographs have been taken
but we are going to loose them like some of your other stuff and it does just leave a big hole in the forum !!
Im no computer whizz kid and have had the same problems myself  A photographic man I know said try this one http://webresizer.com/ its free and its easy but always remember to down load your photos to your PC        WEBRESIZER  only keep them for about 6weeks   it only takes about 6 clicks and it works I normally set the new size to 500 to 550 and the image quality to 90 if they don't post just lower the numbers a little - I have found it quicker on Google Chrome than just Google and you do get a % in the corner of your screen showing where about things are happening Lots of people use different ways but this one is well suited to me but there are other ways that are better but I have tried some but don't rely understand them !
Barney
try it any problems please email me
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Barney

PS  and don't appear to effect Uncle Russ in his Hibernation time !
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Holy cow, that looks fantastic! So realistic.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

These are the contributions why I am looking here.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Barney

Excellent the more I look the more I find - and I do think photographing these dioramas outside certainly adds to the realism -  what  is your technique for the old wood colouring ? 
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

I also really like the detailed landscape around the mill. It's extremely realistic, and clearly a lot of thought was put into making it that way.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mobilgas

Robert,  Nice job on the Sawmill ......Question??  I'm with Russ you took all this time to build this why did you not post the pictures from your own computer for they will not be lost and be on this forum for years to come???I don't get it. So I will copy all your pictures Now and they will be on My Computer  ;D
Craig

Bill Gill

I agree with Russ, Barney and Craig. So many good photos have been lost. Threads that were bookmarked for future refernce have been decimated...
I takes a bit to figure out how to post them here, but...if even I can do it, anyone can.

lab-dad

WOW!
Warms my heart to see another version of this.
You've done an outstanding job and the "setting" where the photo's were taken is perfect.
Congratulations! I know it is a monumental project but well worth the effort!
-Marty Jones