• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Sierra West Sawmill Project

Started by Robert G, June 09, 2019, 02:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert G

After some less difficult SW builds, ( which I will show you later, this is my first post ) I decided to start on a project that will fill my modeling time for the next year I presume. The O scale Sawmill Project.

After taking the boxes in and out of my cabinet about a thousand times, study the content, man there is no end to the amount of castings, loads of wood, enough templates to cover my wall and so on, I finally found enough courage to start this huge build.

While I am still studying the manual, the templates etc, I am trying to get myself a picture of this build, the actual Sawmill Building, I started of with the machinery that goes into this Sawmill. These are multiple projects on its own. INCREDIBLE castings of the machinery.

So, here is the first one, the Double Husk. Of course more weathering when everything will be put together.

Soon more, (this was to figure out how to post on this forum)

darrylhuffman

I have had the complete kit sitting on my shelf for ages.

I look forward to your build.

Looks good so far.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Robert G

I already started this build a few weeks ago, so the next days I 'll post the rest of the machinery.

The Carriage platform

darrylhuffman

You have probably seen this video of a working steam powered sawmill.

But just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAvurSjBVW8
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Robert G

No, I haven't seen that. Thank you very much. Most interesting . I am very new in the 'Logging' world. Just thought this sawmill kit was really great to build. Still need to do some research on how everything works in an actual steam powered sawmill. Not only that, but the actual cutting, spar tree systems, transporting from forest to the mill in the 20ties and later. So I am looking youtube logging videos to get some understanding.

darrylhuffman

Robert,

Send me your mailing address and I will send you a free copy of my CD, Small Sawmill Operator's Manual.

This is a book on CD that was published just after WW2 to help with rebuilding efforts in the USA.

Best single source of what a sawmill does, how to set one up and so on.

Designed for someone to build and operate a small sawmill.

Best single source of information that I know of.

A gift for you as a newcomer.

darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Robert G

Here are the Live and Dead Rolls

And the Edger

Final weathering and sawdust when in situ at the Mill... ;)

5thwheel

Can the head of this edger be set up for different widths of lumber?
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Hauk

The metal and wood parts look great!
A little tutorial on how you paint the metal parts would be much appreciated.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Hauk on June 10, 2019, 09:28:27 AM
The metal and wood parts look great!
A little tutorial on how you paint the metal parts would be much appreciated.

I totally agree -thanks Hauk to point that out . And a littel tutorial on how you did the wooden parts would be much apprechiated too ;)
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

It seems Robert is breathing some life into the group. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on June 10, 2019, 11:49:05 AM
It seems Robert is breathing some life into the group. -- Russ

Almost makes you want to do some modelling for yourself !

Which , by the way,I am doing .

Ray Dunakin

Wow, great work on those! The castings are superb, too.

Are the wooden frames part of the castings, or are they built up from real wood?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World