Westlake Publishing Forums
October 18, 2019, 08:30:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Studio CG Modelling/Animation Project  (Read 2808 times)
WP Rayner

3D CGI Visualizer/Animator

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2019, 07:14:14 PM »

Thanks Dave. Lol, I'm OCD too...watch the screws closely... they do rotate as they explode (a little too quickly to see as the explode is fairly sudden, only 5 frames, 1/6 second) and rotate again at a slower speed as the Tourbillon is assembled, slow enough to see if you focus on the screws. The clay is very useful and I do it on all my renderings for the same reason that car designers often use clay models... it's an excellent way to test forms without the distractions and perception distortions that can happen with various colours and materials, test how the forms appear with lighting and, in an animation, test if the actions and movement are what is desired.

Yes, in the finished animation all parts are fully textured in photo-real materials: various golds, polished and machined steels, brass, and ruby for all the jewels. The real challenge in this project was animating the "breathing" hairspring. The inboard end is mounted to the balance wheel arbor which rotates both clockwise and counter-clockwise with the balance wheel while the outboard end is fixed to the Tourbillon frame and does not rotate relative to the balance arbor and wheel. The spring coils expand and contract (breathing) with the opposing rotation of the balance wheel while the whole assembly rotates around the drive wheel at 1 rpm. In real life the entire assembly is roughly the diameter of a dime.

Paul

Do things with passion or not at all.
Dave Fischer

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2019, 08:01:21 PM »

I guess there's NOT a lot of time for the screws to seat-- yes, they DO turn! You can be justifiably proud of the action of the mainspring. That was certainly not a simple task defining the ever-changing dynamics of a spiral. Hard enough just to draw, much less making it move!  Keep it coming...   DF
Ray Dunakin

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2019, 08:56:50 PM »

Wow, that watch model/animation is terrific! Should be really impressive when fully textured.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakinís World
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2019, 10:09:39 PM »

Most satisfactory. -- Russ
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: