• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A CASE Tractor in 1/16th scale

Started by Barney, March 07, 2019, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

In-between painting the components for the "Scrap Yard " and waiting for paint to dry and the building of a display base
I have now started on a 1/16 CASE tractor model/type 10-18 of about 1918/20
Having seen the little critter at the Malvern Tractor show a few weeks back and taking many detail photo shots - and now ploughing through books and service manuals have now made a start with the transmission engine sump and radiator base and drive many variations have come to light - some info was gained from the Smokestack (spelt Smokestak) forum for details of the brakes/clutch operating system a very informative forum for tractors and industrial equipment.

finescalerr

It should be fun to see how you progress. -- Russ

Barney

Next shots of the transmission case - sump For the cross mounted engine- and the radiator base. Different variations came out of the research (great for us model builders) all parts are trial fit at the moment and some more cleaning up of parts is still required - the tractor when completed will be in a partly dismantled state under a lean to shack
Barney

finescalerr

It looks as though you fabricated everything yourself; no commercial help. Extremely adequate. -- Russ

Barney

The only commercial part is the rear part of the transmission "a truck back axle" from a  1/16 Dennis fire engine kit
I have used the centre part of the axle . The photo of the CASE cross motor  10-18  (the real thing) has the standard transmission casing after asking a few questions about the variations from the (horses mouths) it came apparent the several variations became available due to the transmissions quote "only drives One rear wheel the other rear wheel clutching onto the power train when the going got tough" so many transmissions were modified by fitting a truck rear axle some ideas worked some did not !
I have used the axle type due to the failure of my first attempt just did not look right so a bit of research came up with some very "vague" if thats the word I want ! photos and descriptions from various books  and of corse the"horses mouth"from owners of these tractors .
The model (of the transmission) is based on LEGO blocks skinned in 15thou plastic card - the axle was cut and grafted onto the rear just like the real thing
Barney

Barney

The real thing - The chain case on the left (the one with the shiny oil cap )drives the rear wheel and the input from the engine is on the lower right
The lever on the right is for the Clutch/brake and hand brake only if the engine is running ! if the engine is stopped there are no brakes ! So I presume someone  has to throw a brick under the wheel !!
The only reason these variations came to light are because I like to know what things do - to try to get the model close to the prototype.
Barney
with some new LEGO blocks

Bill Gill

Barney, you're gearing up for another good project to follow along.Good start.

Ray Dunakin

Very cool project, and you're already off to a good start!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Some progress made on the tractor - this is how it will be in the repair shed -radiator removed and fuel /oil tanks removed ready for repairs Rear wheels are from a traction engine kit (front wheels ) its now got a stable mate a Fordson rail critter also will be in the under repair state Radiator casting from a Universal E27N version
Barney

Barney

The Fordson Rail critter "Well its a start"

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

finescalerr

You seem to be getting pretty good at working with that newfangled plastic stuff. -- Russ