• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Von Leipnik's Interplanetary Transport Co.

Started by Marty J, February 11, 2019, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty J

Hi All,
I have looked for years but not posted much.  Here is a photo of some brickwork I am doing for my bookcase / around the wall layout.
Regards
Marty

TRAINS1941

Welcome Marty.

What are you using for bricks and scale are you working in??

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

1-32

Marty J

Hi Jerry and Kim,
I work in 7/8ths scale.   The plaster bricks are cast in a mold that I made awhile back.   The project stalled because I was never happy with the color.  I know that you can paint the bricks but I just didn't want to go that route.  First I tried adding a number of different paints into the plaster but the bricks always ended up too pink.  I then used artist paint powders but they were really messy and expensive.  The solution turned out to be concrete dye and it works really well.  Photo below.  I ordered it online and have been in the brick making business since.  While this mold works fine I have some improvements that I plan on implementing on the next version.
Regards
Marty

Carlo

Hi, Marty J -

Are you still using plaster, or some mix to cast bricks?
Do you you the "red" color straight?
Carlo

Marty J

Hi Carlo,
I just use the plaster-dye combination.  It gives best results when fairly "runny".  I don't vacuum mix the plaster but I do use a vibrating platform while pouring.
Baking afterwords helps with strength.  A vacuum mixer would likely increase the usable brick ratio - currently the yield is about 80%.
Regards
Marty

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World