• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fire escape

Started by Carlo, July 24, 2018, 10:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

Hello, all -
I'm looking for some "typical" dimensions for an early-mid 20th century fire escape.
I want to build one in 1/12 scale, and I live in a rather rural area, so I can't easily find any to measure.
Pictures, plans, etc. welcome.

Google has not been my friend on this one.
Carlo

Bill Gill

Hi Carlo, I don't have dimensions, but here is a type of early 20th century fire escape that doesn't take up much room and is simple to build.
The first photo (courtesy Rensselaer Model RR Society) shows a date of 1908 for one variety. Boy I sure wouldn't want to have to use one of those in the winter when it iced up!

The second photo shows a very similar style still on a building in Connecticut.

The third is in upstate NY and has grab irons set in the brick instead of a linked ladder. (courtesy Rensselaer Model RR Society)

The last is my HO scale model with a simplified version of the third photo. 

Thought these might give you some other ideas to consider.

Bill Gill

Here's the model photo

nk

Ken Hamilton was selling some photo etched fire-escapes and they could be a good place to start. There is no such thing as a typical one though...as soon as you start looking, there is so much variation as they are often built to fit the building.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

finescalerr

Narayan, methinks you have been lurking but not posting. What's new? -- Russ

nk

Russ, You are right, I have been lurking. I have a few projects underway and will post when they are done...one for a friend in Sydney, one for a gallery and one for Volker. And we got a puppy which means I have had zero spare time for the bench, but that will change in due course. Thanks for asking. Narayan

Carlo this was based on Ken's fire escape with quite a lot of modification...I can't solder so superglue did all the hard work for me.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

finescalerr

Well, quite obviously, you have been more than lurking and have created a rather adequate miniature. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World