• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Other projects

Started by Burl, May 09, 2018, 02:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burl

I have not been able to post much hobby-wise lately, but I wanted to show some the 1:1 scale projects I have been working on.  Last fall, we found out we were expecting again.  Getting ready for the new baby preempted everything else.  We'd like to add on to the house, but time being at a premium, we decided bunk beds were a better option for now.

I designed this in Sketchup, and built it out of cabinet grade plywood & poplar.  She wanted the stain to match the crib.  I tried to work out everything on paper before I built it.  Window clearance, ceiling clearance, etc.  Everything went in exactly like I wanted it to, until we tried to put the sheets on the mattress.  Finally decided it was easier to take the mattress out to put the sheets on!

I built some extra storage into the stairs:

As well as adjustable bookshelves:

I also designed & built a toy box for the both of them.  This is loosely based on a joiner's toolbox, that I saw on Roy Underhill's TV show years ago.  The veneer is laser cut bamboo & walnut.  All the joinery was done with hand tools.  I find a lot of the skills we develop in model making carry over into woodworking.

Greg Hile

Everything looks great, but I REALLY like the bunkbeds and the stairway to the upper bunk, rather than a ladder. Very cool!

detail_stymied

reminds me of a pirate ship for some reason. kids should be happy there.
s.e. charles

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Nothing wrong with 1:1 scale interior detail, especially when the quality is high. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Burl

Greg: we weren't comfortable with his ladder climbing skills.  He's pretty good with stairs though.

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful! I too like the stairs...a big improvement over the usual ladder.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Allan G

Really nice!!!...Allan

Burl

Our motivation for the projects above arrived on Tuesday:

He looks like a carbon copy of his big brother:

Greg Hile

Congratulations! I'm at the Grandpa stage of life now and loving it — four boys from 2 months to 10 years, a 3 year old granddaughter, and some kids who once again think maybe mom and dad might know a thing or two after all!

finescalerr

Nice job of scratch building. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: finescalerr on June 01, 2018, 11:36:12 AM
Nice job of scratch building. -- Russ

Yep. But this kind of scratch building is a long-term project. Takes another 18 years or so to complete the job.   :)

Congrats to Burl and family!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Burl

Don't know if I would call it scratch building... more like additive manufacturing.