• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

DEMAG ML15 (engine locomotive with 15hp)

Started by fspg2, May 09, 2018, 11:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buster95

fspg2

Hi Buster 95,

at German Buntbahn forum I reported about the assembly kit of my milling machine, it started at 2017/07/06.
Sorry its in German language, but google can help: klick
Frithjof

finescalerr

From now on I want you to build all of my locomotives. -- Russ

Bill Gill

This is more wonderful work. I look and read with awe.

Lawton Maner

You put more effort into the jigs and fixtures used to make the parts for your models then most of us put into the models themselves.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Thank you for all the nice comments!

The bonnet is connected to the front plate with several hexagon bolts. In my five locomotives that should be implemented as well.

In order to drill the 0.5mm holes in the 1.0mm thick sides of the front plates and the 2.0mm wide brackets of the engine cover, small Pertinax gauges were milled again.

Demag_ML15_Montage_42 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_43 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_44 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_45 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_46 (fspg2)

In the mini vice, the sheets and brackets were clamped. The respective Pertinax teachings were used to accurately position the drill holes.

Demag_ML15_Montage_47 (fspg2)

After half of the holes I had to take a break, as the clamped 0.5mm drill was broken (by my own carelessness). As I  changed the drill, the box fell with the last remaining drill to the ground .... now, of course, the drill is much shorter than before!

New drills are ordered!

For the two windows, I got a width of 500mm and a height of 350mm. So I had calculated the outer edges of the window frame with these dimensions.

When compared to photos from the prototype, my window size seemed quite small.

So the old things were handed back to the scrap dealer and 12 wall parts milled again from 0.3mm nickel silver, now with an adjusted inside dimension! Likewise, new window frames were created.

Demag_ML15_Montage_48 (fspg2)

For comparison, the old frame ....

Demag_ML15_Montage_003 (fspg2)

... and the new one:

Demag_ML15_Montage_49 (fspg2)

Frithjof

finescalerr

You probably could build a full size locomotive in the same way; you just need bigger tools. -- Russ

Franck Tavernier

Hello Frithjof,

I'm still so impressed by the techniques and the work done, well done!

Franck

Chuck Doan

Wonderful fixtures! This is the highest form of fabricating.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

fspg2

In order for the techniques to work as desired, the CAD program is a great help.

The two center bonnet mounts were also pre-drilled with 0.5mm and then the 0.6mm threads cut.

Demag_ML15_Montage_50 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_51 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_52 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_53 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_54 (fspg2)

In this moment the front model has so far 38 rivets (1.5mm x 1.0mm x 1.5) and 34 M0.6mm screws (SW 1.0mm) installed.
But a few more rivets and screws will be added soon.
They could only be tamed with pointed tweezers and a strong headband loupe.

Demag_ML15_Montage_55 (fspg2)

In the background you see the exercise model, where I can test if I did everything right in the CAD.

Although the hood panel is only 0.2mm thick, it is very stable!

Demag_ML15_Montage_56 (fspg2)

Now diligence is needed to build the next four models.

Frithjof
Frithjof

finescalerr

Hauk

Quote from: fspg2 on April 16, 2019, 08:46:53 AM

Although the hood panel is only 0.2mm thick, it is very stable!

Demag_ML15_Montage_56 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Stable? It looks totally bulletproof!
Very inspiring, and just a tad intimidating...
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Thanks to the Pertinax teachings, the assembly of the other Demag ML15 frames went quickly.

Demag_ML15_Montage_59 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_60 (fspg2)

Now a lot of small screws and rivets have to be installed.

The window frames will get 10 small rivets with a head diameter of 0.8mm.

Demag_ML15_Montage_61 (fspg2)

To ensure that the rivets are soldered aligned vertically, a Pertinax gauge helps again.

Demag_ML15_Montage_57 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_58 (fspg2)

Frithjof