• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

DEMAG ML15 (engine locomotive with 15hp)

Started by fspg2, May 09, 2018, 11:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

In the last few weeks, I have had some more time to draw thanks to the rehab.
Besides the Kemna Gigant 8, I also have created a small field railway locomotive - first virtually.

A DEMAG ML15 (engine locomotive with 15hp) will be made in brass - 1: 22.5 scale.

Demag_ML15_Montage_016 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_001 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_003 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_004 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_009 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_010 (fspg2)

Today it was burning under my fingers .... the frame was milled out of 1.0mm brass (MS58).

Demag_ML15_Montage_011 (fspg2)

To facilitate assembly, I got 10.0 mm hard paper gauges from the milling machine.

Demag_ML15_Montage_012 (fspg2)

Loosely put together then a quick photo was taken on the windowsill.

Demag_ML15_Montage_015 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_013 (fspg2)

Frithjof

Gordon Ferguson

Your jigs are of a higher quality than my models , sigh!

Lovely work , would you mind if I "borrowed" your side elevation profile with dimensions , might like to try this in 1/35 scale ........ hacked glued together in plastic with lots of filler  ;D

I am presuming it's 600mm gauge
Gordon

Greg Hile

finescalerr

Gorgeous drawing and metal fabrication. Besides, I love Feldbahnen. -- Russ

fspg2

Thanks a lot for your friendly statements :)
@Gordon
I sent an email to you with some downscaled drawings. If you need further information, please let me know!

Some more pictures you´ll find here.
The sound: click
Frithjof

fspg2

The 5.0 x 5.0 mm brass corner sections have the same hole pattern received as the outer walls. For this I have milled a groove in a hard paper gauge and placed opposite two equal length brass profiles with the thighs.

Demag_ML15_Montage_017 (fspg2)

As a stop serve two small brass plates. Everything was fixed with Tesakrepp (not visible in the photos). In addition to the 1.0 mm holes, the respective top was milled in length with a 0.8 mm deep 1.2 mm cutter. The profiles have a wall thickness of 0.6 mm.
Thereafter, both profiles were rotated and the same procedure was carried out with the required parts separated to the final dimension now.

Demag_ML15_Montage_018 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_019 (fspg2)

The additional overhead frame should be bolted to the engine part later. At the moment it is free to move because I have designed the drive part not yet.

Demag_ML15_Montage_020 (fspg2)

The bonnet is made of 0.2mm nickel silver.
For bending, I have built a small auxiliary gauge to be able to bend the two sides equally in radius. The chimney hole serves for exactly centered alignment.

Motorhaube_Biegeschablone_01 (fspg2)

Motorhaube_Biegeschablone_02 (fspg2)

Motorhaube_Biegeschablone_04 (fspg2)

Motorhaube_Biegeschablone_05 (fspg2)

Let's see if bending works that way.
Frithjof

finescalerr

I can't imagine having the ability to build anything so neatly. -- Russ

fspg2

@Russ
I enjoy not only a finished model, but also the implementation and modification of an idea in order to arrive at this model.

I modified the bending template a bit.
In order to press the nickel silver plate better with the bending block to the curves of the 6.0 mm brass rods, I have further milled out the base plate.
I also made two sheets of hard paper. They hold the brass rods securely on the base plate with the 6.0mm Allen screws.
Even if the milled 0.2 mm nickel silver sheet is bent transversely to the rolling direction, it has an enormous spring force.
Therefore, the distance between the two brass rods was already brought closer by 1.0mm.

Motorhaube_Biegeschablone_06 (fspg2)

Frithjof

5thwheel

fspg2, I don't know your real name. What is the purple material you are using for jigs? I see you refer to hard paper, is that what it is?   I have not seen any thing like it here in the States. Very interesting looking material.

I enjoy following your projects.

Bill Hudson
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

fspg2

@Bill

My name ist Frithjof.

The hard paper can be found with different names, such as:
laminated paper, synthetic resin bonded paper, Pertinax®, Bakelite®, ...

But, please uses a filtering facepiece when working with these materials.
Frithjof

fspg2

Another sheet was annealed before bending. It could be more precisely adapted to the desired radius.

Motorhaube_Biegeschablone_07 (fspg2)

Meanwhile, I milled the upper sheet walls, the window frames and the curved roof angle profiles.

Demag_ML15_Montage_021 (fspg2)

M0.6mm hexagon bolts and nuts (wrench size = 1.0mm) were assembled..

Demag_ML15_Montage_023 (fspg2)

A headband magnifier helps assemble these small parts.
Since the screws are too long for the Model Socket, I have drilled a few 0.5mm holes in an 1.5mm thick brass plate and cutted 0.6mm thread with a tap drill.

Demag_ML15_Montage_24 (fspg2)

70 screws were screwed in ...

Demag_ML15_Montage_25 (fspg2)

... I cut the bottom protruding threads roughly with a small side cutter. Then the remaining supernatants were smoothed on a sandpaper board.
Since the height of these screw heads seemed to me a bit too high and bothered production-related sharp parting stubs, I also pulled the top of the head over the sandpaper.

Demag_ML15_Montage_27 (fspg2)

Now all screws have a length of only 1.5mm.

Demag_ML15_Montage_28 (fspg2)

Step by step I get closer to the drawing. :wink:

For testing I had let print two buffers at Shapeways from Black Hi-Def acrylate (The material is no longer in the delivery program since a few days), I did not want to spend 120.00 € for the brass version, without knowing if all fits...... Grrrrrrrr.... The size was true to the point ....... only the stuff is just too soft, it stinks and is very light. The support structures are very easy to sand, but brass is just brass.  ;)

Demag_ML15_Montage_022 (fspg2)
Frithjof

finescalerr

It will look beautiful in brass. -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Frithjof,

With your range of skills why not use the the Shapeways pieces to make a sand mould and cast them up in brass 😀
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

I continue to be amazed at the effort you put into your models! Customizing all those tiny bolts -- wow!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

It's been a couple of months since I built the little loco.

At the moment I am trying to draw the wheels for the Demag ML 15.

Unfortunately, I have no photo of the inside of the wheels, only a drawing from an old brochure page I could take as a basis.

However, it seems to have a different geometry than in the pictures, you can see in this post.

Demag-ML15_Rad_01 (fspg2)

Demag-ML15_Rad_02 (fspg2)

Demag-ML15_Rad_08 (fspg2)

Demag-ML15_Rad_10 (fspg2)

Demag-ML15_Rad_11 (fspg2)

Let's see what else I can find about the wheel.

The hood I had bent in a bending template and thereby let the two side walls protrude longer to have enough material when bending.

Before the hoods can be mounted on the frame now, I shortened them on my sheet metal cutting machine.

Demag_ML15_Montage_29 (fspg2)

In order to get the same dimensions everywhere, a Pertinax gauge was milled as a stop.

Demag_ML15_Montage_30 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_31 (fspg2)

The M 0.6mm screws with a wrench width of 1.0mm I had previously shortened to 1.5mm length and brought the head height to about 0.4mm.
They were screwed into the frame wall with a suitable socket wrench and the predrilled lower reinforcement strip.

Demag_ML15_Montage_32 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_33 (fspg2)

Demag_ML15_Montage_34 (fspg2)

Slowly you can guess the locomotive.

Demag_ML15_Montage_35 (fspg2)

Frithjof