• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HUFFKINS Mine

Started by Barney, January 04, 2018, 12:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Thanks to you all for your comments -
Russ - The dirt /soil is just that - a long time ago a guy found plenty of it on a canal bank in Warwickshire - I believe its decomposed Granite from when they dug the banks out for the locks - unfortunately stocks of it are low now and the area were we found it has become a boat yard and lots of people walking there dogs making it difficult to gain access to dig it out without looking suspicious + I think its illegal to remove soil from the Monarchs land !!
The grass Tuffs come in many sizes and shades and are from the MINI-NATUR range of products -I also use small sections of Grass mats from the
REALITY in SCALE company who also do a wide range of scenery products
Barney 

photo one The Tufts ( they come with sticky backs )

Barney

Photo 2  grass matt

Barney

Photo 3
grass mat with hills

finescalerr

Thanks, Barney. The combination of natural dirt and commercial products you used looks very real. Most satisfactory. -- Russ

LesTindall

Barney, I'm surprised the canal is still there after all that soil removal. I remember years back our group all using that excellent "dirt".  These days you have to be careful where dog walkers go, you might retrieve more than you bargained for!
Les 

Ray Dunakin

Wow! Very impressive collection of models!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Well Mr Barney you obviously have used the long dark winter nights very constructively , love them all but especially the cement mixer ....... Was going to ask you for some measurements  ( would I dare ask you for plans  ;) ) but reading the whole thread I notice you got them indirectly from me , shows you how bad the old memory is !!

Still got supplies of Humbrol OD I see  ;D >:( ;D
Gordon

Lawton Maner

Just put on a "Bob the Builder" jacket and hat, throw in some traffic cones and have five of your mates dressed the same standing and drinking tea while you dig out a bucket of soil, and all the passers-by will think you work for the local council.  ;D ;D ;D

Barney

Lawton - Our council workers just gather round a hole in the road and put traffic lights up and leave  it for weeks - months - years
Gordon do you still want the measurements for the cement mixer he put them on the photos
Barney