Westlake Publishing Forums
December 12, 2018, 12:22:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Photo Etch Coloring - help request  (Read 1274 times)
detail_stymied

« on: February 27, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »

I have used Blacken-It fairly successfully to turn brass photo etch , well, darker in the charcoal direction, but is there some chemical mordant which will turn it towards silver? maybe a question for a gunsmith? would barrel bluing offer a color somewhere between charcoal & silver just for a variety? thanks

s.e. charles
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 02:30:33 AM »

My experiences with rub-on or liquid gun blues is that they turn metal blue-black (usually mostly black) but are never a perfect match for a chemically blued color. I can't imagine they could produce a color with any silver tint. -- Russ
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 02:45:45 PM by finescalerr » Logged
Design-HSB

Klosterstollen

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 02:58:44 AM »

Non-ferrous metal can be dyed silver with chemical nickel, but this is a very complicated difficult process.

Addendum: That would color silver. It would be much easier to nickel plating.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:52:46 AM by Design-HSB » Logged

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal
Bill Gill

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 07:32:54 AM »

Not to highjack this thread, but are there any home made solutions that can blacken (or turn dark brown, but not bluish) brass, bronze or copper? 
Design-HSB

Klosterstollen

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »

Blue-black is usually the result of steel as a substrate. All non-ferrous metals are chemically colored brown-black.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal
detail_stymied

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 12:20:36 PM »

so i'm getting the impression paint is going to be the way to go, eh?

s.e. charles
Mr Potato Head

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 02:06:21 PM »

www.sculptnouveau.com
They are in San Diego or Southern California and will ship to you and you can usually find it at metal supply centers they have both ferrous and non  colorants and also water based too for the more Eco friendly modeler.
 l like their Japanese brown for the aged copper, and their blacken it solution is a fraction of the cost and much stronger than "Blacken It" brand
MPH

Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho
detail_stymied

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »

very nice source; thank you

s.e. charles
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: