Westlake Publishing Forums
October 16, 2018, 10:03:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Weathering Wood Redux  (Read 1449 times)
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »

Thinned oil paints should work and maybe some acrylics. Chuck used SilverWood stain and "powdered pastels" (actually, a specific brand of weathering powders) in his seminal article from a few years ago. SilverWood has been around for decades and works very well. Builders-In-Scale in Washington state offers it; I bought a new bottle last April. http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/parts-weather.html It's a very small, mom and pop outfit so who knows how much longer they'll survive? Anyway, if you want to try any of that before toddling off to styrene, I hope the information will be of use. -- Russ
Bill Gill

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 12:43:48 PM »

I'm going to find some suitable samples of various woods and put them outside for several months to see what happens. Has anyone else done this?

I collected small weathered twigs from a beach to use as driftwood against the abutment of a bridge on my HO layout. The naturally "silvered" wood looked perfect! Unfortunately nearly microscopic little critters eventually gnawed that thin surface layer away leaving what looked like newly cut wood except part of the log at the bottom, closest to the camera.

* driftwood 1.jpg (95.02 KB, 800x528 - viewed 48 times.)
Ed Keen

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »

Barney,
I found if you soak it for days in will penetrate and look real. Plus the wood used has different effects.
And the color is richer if allowed to soak longer. Mike Chambers, one of the best has some great mixtures.
All look quite realistic. In my humble opinion.
Check out RobertG and others on the Sierra West site for some outstanding modeling.
ed keen
Ed Keen

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 01:43:50 PM »

Nice article in The Modellers' Annual by Gordon Birrell. On page 67. Titled, A weathered finish without paint.
Others in the same issue.
ed keen
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: