• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Diamond Rock 0-4-0 3 foot tank engine

Started by Scratchman, February 08, 2018, 09:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

Diamond Rock 0-4-0 narrow-gauge tank engine

This is my twentieth 1:16 scale steam engine. My first two, the Michigan-California Shay #2 and The Kahuku Baldwin 1890 were built in the the early seventies. All the others were built after 2000 in my current work shop.

Diamond Rock 0-4-0 narrow-gauge tank engine. The plans are in the Oct. 1971 Model Railroader. This locomotive is representative of Baldwin Locomotive Works class 4-11C, a 3-foot-gauge Saddle tank 0-4-0 design. The engines in this class had 28" diameter drivers
9x14"cylinders were supplied with steam from the boiler at a pressure of 150 pounds per square inch.inch9x14"cylinders were supplied with steam from the boiler at a pressure of 150 pounds per square inch. He engine was rated at tractive effort of 5160 pounds based on a fully loaded weight 24,000 pounds. The saddle tank had a capacity of 300 gallons of water. Coal was carried on the cab floor and on a small flat car coupled behind the engine. There is no record of such an engine having been built for Diamond Rock Sand Co. However, for purposes of  lettered for such a company. Three- foot- gauge industrial lines were common and such power would be well suited for use on them.
https://saveitforparts.wordpress.com/projects/lesser-known-and-obscure-railroads-of-alaska/

This photo shows the Model Railroader plans  laying on top of my working plan on ( 24x18 inch 4 squares to the  inch  Quad paper.) with some of the different parts and build-up parts that I'll use for this model. The brass castings are from Track Side Detail  and the white metal parts are from Ozark Miniatures some of the brass parts will be used only for pattern.(injectors) (brake valve) (lubricator).

The jig holds the front and rear pilot beams  between the two pilot beam I fit the cab and boiler section to that I add the frame and  running gear section. This section makes contact with the  four wheel – jig. The rear of the two side frame – side frames on fire box. The cylinder saddles – bottom of smoke box, The front of the two side frame – front pilot beam.

The bottom casting for the steam and sand dome were modified to fit the larger diameter of the water tank.

Gordon Birrell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbirrell/

finescalerr

I remember those plans. So far your model looks extremely adequate. -- Russ

Design-HSB

Gordon, the model looks good, but are the domes already finished?
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

lab-dad

One of these is on my "to do" list.
I better take notes!

Marty

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Yea! Always great to see one of your projects under way Gordon!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Scratchman

Thanks guys for your comments
Helmut, what are you seeing? I'm not real happy with the center section not having a smaller diameter than the top and bottom, and  I'm good with the flange on the bottom.

Gordon Birrell

Barney

Ray Dunakin

Wow, another great project off to a good start!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Gordon, This project is another good one! Will you number her 20 in recognition of all the 1:16 locomotives you have built?

lab-dad

Gordon,
How good are the MRR "plans"?
Care to share a copy?.... ???

Marty

Design-HSB

Quote from: Scratchman on February 11, 2018, 11:01:37 AM
Helmut, what are you seeing? I'm not real happy with the center section not having a smaller diameter than the top and bottom, and  I'm good with the flange on the bottom.
Hi Gordon,

I noticed this distance between the saddle tank and the steam dome. If you have a chance to reduce it, maybe you can grind the steam dome on a cylinder of appropriate diameter.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Scratchman

Helmut, thanks for getting back to my question. I looked at that approach to the problem   but my ability is limited and that approach was not workable.

Marty, I picked this loco to build because the plans showed a little more detail than most. The plan I had from the magazine was destroyed. My brother is also a model railroader and had a copy of 75 years of Model Railroader and printed out a copy of page 42 Oct. 71. Send a PM with your address and I will send you a copy of my copy.

Gordon Birrell   .

Design-HSB

Hallo Gordon,

now there is still the possibility of the lower part of the steam dome to re-sign and allow in 3D printing, only characters I can not do something like that unfortunately.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

Gordon, if you need a 3-D drawing just ask one of us to help. -- Russ